Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Graphic override composite fills of new walls only

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I'm trying to achieve something that doesn't seem possible (as usual).

See attached. My goal is to override the fills of ONLY new walls on A-WALL-FULL to have a solid grey fill, EXCEPT walls that are using the two fills specified in the rule.

There doesn't appear to be a way to restrict it to only new walls.

I could create a custom Property and use that to classify the walls and apply the GO rule, but that adds an extra step for the user that I want to avoid.

MORE DETAILS:

Our company standard is to graphically depict 2 of our most common interior partition types with the striped fills you see in my screenshot.

Our other standard is to show existing elements with grey lines and fills, while new elements would be shown with black lines and fills. This makes the new work obvious when looking at our drawings.

Our old method for doing this involved having separate partition types (wall composites) for remodeling projects with alternate fills. I'm trying to remove the alternate partitions from our workflow by utilizing G.O. to handle this instead.

So, I'm not opposed to some lateral thinking to achieve my real goal if G.O. are too limited for what I'm trying to do.

Graphic_Override_Rules_and_Graphic_Override_Combinations_and_Template__Changes_in_Progress___server_mga_mgarchitects_com_-_BIM_Server_20__User__Eric_Batte_.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
To sort of answer my own question, here's my workaround:

Set Renovation Override for NEW cut fills to swap the foreground and background colors. This causes the stripes to invert (same difference) and the walls with white fills to change to grey fills.

Anyone have a better idea?
You might want to play around with the "Show on Renovation Filter" criterion in the "Identification" section of the Criteria for Rules. It was broken before, but I believe is supposed to be fixed now. You could even create a renovation filter that was just for "New" objects only, if it helps.

I'm not sure why you're running so hard from using a distinct Property for these walls. Yeah, I know, you don't want to burden your staff with a few extra seconds to tag these walls with a property, but they could be ALREADY tagged in your Favorites, so they wouldn't have to think AT ALL!
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I actually did try the "show on renovation filter" option and the result wasn't what I needed, although I can't remember exactly what the result was.

And I've pretty much given up on favorites because after all these years of favs being so primitive, I'm not happy with the limitations and the way the new interface was implemented.
Eric wrote:
And I've pretty much given up on favorites because after all these years of favs being so primitive, I'm not happy with the limitations and the way the new interface was implemented.
Wow, you're a tough customer. Maybe you could say more what your problem is with favorites. I'm actually finding them to be pretty slick, and can't imagine what they might be lacking.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make a folder of favs with 6 toilets, each with different specs. and try to describe the differences between each graphically and/or with words, then you'll start to see what I don't like about it. When there are many favs that are similar, it quickly becomes cumbersome to visually discern the differences.

We need the ability to have custom icons and/or extra text info so we can add info that's useful to users.

There are other things I wish were better, too, like being able to push favs to all users by force rather than depending on each user to manually reload. The BIM Server should be capable of doing things like that as it can with Libraries. In fact, Favorites should and could be directly associated with libraries in a sophisticated way that would make them much more useful.

I'm getting off topic, now...

I complained thoroughly during the beta test last year 😉
Barry Kelly
Post moved to "Working in Archicad".

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Eric wrote:
Make a folder of favs with 6 toilets, each with different specs. and try to describe the differences between each graphically and/or with words, then you'll start to see what I don't like about it. When there are many favs that are similar, it quickly becomes cumbersome to visually discern the differences.

We need the ability to have custom icons and/or extra text info so we can add info that's useful to users.

There are other things I wish were better, too, like being able to push favs to all users by force rather than depending on each user to manually reload. The BIM Server should be capable of doing things like that as it can with Libraries. In fact, Favorites should and could be directly associated with libraries in a sophisticated way that would make them much more useful.

Eric,

Make these items into separate Wish posts, so we can vote for them. If they are supported by users by their votes, we can submit them to GRAPHISOFT.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Eric,

The "Renovation Status" parameter of elements is now available as Graphic Override Criterion in the Graphic Override Rules Dialog of ARCHICAD 21:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/archicad/archicad-21-small-improvements/#Use_Renovation_Statu...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Eric wrote:

+1 and add central attribute management...
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.