BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Graphic overrides and wall ends

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am looking for some Graphic Override-savvy who can help me to clean up my elevations.

I have a model with brick surfaces on the outside walls and elevations that have GO applied to them.

I've made an example connection and there you can see my problem with the wall-ends.

The connection displays as I would like it to look like on the image without the GO, but after the GO is applied, it overrides also the wall end with the surface of the original wall.

I understand how Archicad thinks with the corner brick detail - that it just want to continue with one of the brick layers to the outside face, but in reality, it's possible also to cut the corner brick in an angle and have a "cleaner" look.

It might not even be a question of Graphic Overrides, they just apply to the whole element... but then the element's 3D representation in Archicad is wrong.

So anyway, is there any workaround to this? Or am I just making my life harder by trying to use the GOs?
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
When I have such issues with Wall joins, I usually create a Complex Profile, and place a Column using that Complex Profile. The Column will cut itself out of the Wall.

In this case, it is a bit more complicated because you want the Brick to stop at the corner. So I would suggest that you create 2 triangle- shaped Columns at the corner. Then you can override only one of them, getting the exact loo you want.
I hope this explanation makes sense.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
In the wall settings where you override the surface materials, there is an option for the wall end to use the adjacent wall”s surface.
I don’t have ArchiCAD in front of me at the moment so I can’t show an image.
Maybe that will make a difference.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies.

Barry, yes, the "End Surface: Override using Adjoining Walls" is on, you can see it on the original screenshot without the GO. The problem is, that the Graphic Overrides applies to the whole element (wall), disregarding this override.

I ended up changing my composite walls so that I have an extra 1 mm Skin with the same Building Material as the Skin for the outer brick (which is now 1 mm thinner) and no Separator Line in between them. I have tried it also with "0" mm Skin thickness, but Archicad obviously didn't like it.

The problem is still in fact there, just minimized to 1 mm instead of several cm. I guess it has to be OK for now. If I get annoyed with it later in the project, I might give a try columns with Complex Profiles like Laszlo suggested.
Barry Kelly
Sorry I forgot that even when overriding a surface, the GO will override the entire element and not just the actual surface involved.

There is one other option in 'Project Preferences > Legacy'.
You can set it to 'Use legacy intersection and surface methods for model elements'.
This will give you the old 45° mitre at the corner but will also prevent building material surfaces (you have to set every surface yourself) and Priority based Connections will no longer work.
And you will still have the problem that the GO will override the entire element.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!