Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Graphical overwrite - no control over individual material in walls?

cs_ryl
Booster

Hi All,

I want to know if it's possible to use Graphical Overwrite to highlight individual wall layers? See example below:

I have a composite wall with Brick+Cavity+Stud+Interior lining. On a plan that's Showing Entire Model, I would like to be able to highlight Cavity (under the Air Material) so that it can have its own fill and line type/weight/colour, and subsequently controlling the appearance of each individual wall buildup layer in the same way. 

I'm able to create a rule that picks up Wall+Material Name, but it highlights the entire wall, instead of only the Cavity layer. 

cs_ryl_0-1652852835888.png

cs_ryl_1-1652853319971.png

Overwrite rules for testing purpose - I noticed that Materials can only be selected as "Contain/Doesn't Contain", instead of "Is" - which might be why it's selecting the whole thing? 

cs_ryl_2-1652853650719.png

I am looking for something that allows for selection of individual material, or building composite layer. Any help would be appreciated! 

AC23 AUSTRALIA
MacBook Pro M1 2020 8GB Memory | macOS Monterey 12.3.1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

No, Graphical Overrides will override the entire element, even if only one part of it matches the criteria that you want to override.

There are quite a few wishes for this.

Here is one wish that has links to a few others as well.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Graphics-Override-Components/m-p/304619

Feel free to like any or all of them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Barry Kelly

No, Graphical Overrides will override the entire element, even if only one part of it matches the criteria that you want to override.

There are quite a few wishes for this.

Here is one wish that has links to a few others as well.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Graphics-Override-Components/m-p/304619

Feel free to like any or all of them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I’m not sure you can do that. I know it doesn’t work with doors as the Graphic Overrides cannot search sub element materials. I’ve been trying to set one up that will file an opaque glass material in a door leaf and override it but it doesn’t work because it’s not possible to identify the sub element materials. I suspect this is the same for composites. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Turit
Booster

Graphic override does not work. The only way to highlight this is to get a pen number for the cavity that you don't use elsewhere. Then you can change the color with another set of pens.
For example:

szig_vonala.JPG

Thanks Lee!

AC23 AUSTRALIA

Thanks Barry! 

By skin type is definitely needed! 

I will go through the links and give likes! 

AC23 AUSTRALIA

oh @Turit can you please elaborate further here? I can't seem to figure out what you did there to change the colour - is it setup under a completely new pen set? 

AC23 AUSTRALIA