Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Green shading on door and window plans

KeesW
Advocate
I've got green shading on door and windows plan out lines and need to remove them. But...I can't find where and how they are created. Please advise.
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=42858
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
18 REPLIES 18
Barry Kelly
The door and window objects you are using are scripted to use particular pen colours (line styles, fills, etc.) that work with a particular pen set (and other attributes) in the template.
If you are changing the pen colour in your pen set, the objects (as well as composites) will still be looking for a particular pen number (not the colour).
You are changing the pen colour only - the number remains the same.

So feel free to change the pen colours but you will also need to check everything else.
For objects (doors and windows), every time you place them you will have to change the pen colours in the parameters. Or you can save a favourite for each with the amended pen colours, then use the favourites everytime you want to place an object.
Or you need to edit the objects and save your own version of them - this gets messy whenever the objects are updated as you have to do it all again.
I have this problem every year when there is a new Archicad and library.
If I want to use the Graphisoft objects I have to amend them as they don't match with my template pen colours.
Hence I only use select Graphisoft objects and I don't update them every year.

You will also want to check composites and amend those if they happen to use those pens that you change.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
KeesW
Advocate
I've never used indexes and have been an AC user since version 5. (about 1996). When were these introduced into Archicad?

My problem setups are as follows:
After creating the new colour matrix as shown above on the screen print, I realised that the default window colour was green, represented by pen 103. This is the number used by the default AC24 Aus. template. for doors and windows.
Changing pen numbers on my own new template does not change the colour from green.
I can only change it by using a different pen set.
Why????
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

KeesW
Advocate
Hello Barry
Thank you for your response. I have been changing pen numbers as required because I know that changing colours won't do anything. Unfortunately, numbers 103 and 123, in my matrix, which generate the green colours, cannot be changed. What I expect is that the colour of the background should be findable and then, if I select a different pen number - which also has a different colour - the colour changes. But it doesn't. I am unable to change the green in my matrix. I've tried changing the colour of pen numbers 123 and 103 but this doesn't change the colour on the model. I've also tried using a different coloured pen (which also has a different number) to change the background colour and that doesn't work either.

Using a different pen set does work but I don't want to do this. Surely pen numbers and colours should be changeable by the user and should , when selected, show correctly on the model? Or am I being naive?

Also, what are indexes referred to in a previous comment on my colour query?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Barry Kelly
KeesW wrote:
I've never used indexes and have been an AC user since version 5. (about 1996). When were these introduced into Archicad?

103 is the index number of the pen you are using.
All attributes have index numbers which Archicad uses - we see it as a pen colour or layer name or composite name.
Archicad actually uses the index number that we don't see (except in the case of pen numbers which we can see).

When you change your pen colour, make sure that you "Store As" the pen set you want to change.
Otherwise you are just altering to a 'custom' pen set that is only temporary.
Any time you see 'Custom' for pen set or layer combination, you can not rely that what you see is what you will get in your documentation - as views should have 'saved' pen sets and layer combinations.
As soon as you open a view, it will switch to the pen set saved with that view.

By default your objects are using pen 103 as the background fill.
You need to have that set in all pen sets to be a colour that you want to use.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
KeesW
Advocate
Hello Barry
Thank you for your suggestions. I had done all that (except to change pen 103) and have now done this. It still doesn't work (see my attachment).

Archicad obviously can't do it and certainly hasn't got enough instructions to find where the green is generated and how to fix it. Central Innovation say that it is a user and not a technical issue. I've wasted enough time on this - thank you all. https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/download/file.php?mode=view&id=42905
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Barry Kelly
Pen 103 is definitely white for that pen set.
So when ever you are using that pen set, anything using that pen should be white.

Unless there is a Graphic Override or Renovation Filter active that is changing that particular pen colour.
I know you say you have checked those, but try switching to a different GO and reno filter to see if that makes any changes.
If it does, then that is where the issue is.

Short of that I am out of ideas and would need to actually see the file in question.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Kees,

If you provide us with a file, we can take a look at it.
Just save the file under a new name, delete everything not completely necessary so the issue is still present.
Then upload it to Dropbox or similar and post the link.
I am becoming more interested in this issue because there must be a reason for those green fills.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
KeesW
Advocate
I have found the cause. I didn't check Glazing panel surfaces > Plan view attributes. I expected this stuff to be in Display Options and never thought of looking in a glazing section. I feel a bit stupid now, having made such a song and dance about and getting so many responses from puzzled users. My apologies to you all.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
But in the end, you found the cause, which is a good thing.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27