Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Grid tool and section marker display in section windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been playing with some of the new feature in 10 and have a few questions that I have not been able to figure out. It appears that the view of the grid lines in the sect/elev window is controled individually within the setting dialog for each sect/elev window. This however is confusing, since some of these controls are adjusted by selecting the grid lines and using the grid line settings. Does anyone know of a way to make changes globally to all (or selected) sect/elev windows. I am having trouble figuring out how the grid lines is placed vertically relative to the position of the model. Without making any changes to the default setting the gird lines were placed 50 - 100' below my zero elevation of story one.

In addition I have tried to find the control which will allow me to see my section markers in the sect/elev window but have been unsuccessful. A search of the help menu and the manual has not helped. I recall that this was supposedly implemented in 10 and am excited about the feature. Thanks for any help you can provide.
91 REPLIES 91
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I have been playing with some of the new feature in 10 and have a few questions that I have not been able to figure out. It appears that the view of the grid lines in the sect/elev window is controled individually within the setting dialog for each sect/elev window. This however is confusing, since some of these controls are adjusted by selecting the grid lines and using the grid line settings. Does anyone know of a way to make changes globally to all (or selected) sect/elev windows.

This has always been the way mate! The same goes for user origins, home views, etc - they are set individually for every window type - floor plan (although the same for all floor plans), S/E windows, Detail windows, etc.

A new feature in AC10 is the ability to open a S/E or Detail in the same window, or in new windows. You can do this via the context menu when you right click on a S/E marker or Detail Marker. 'Open Section/Elevation in New Window' will replicate AC9's behaviour, whereas 'Open Section/Elevation' will open the S/E in the same window as the previous S/E. Try opening a few S/E's and checking the list under the Window menu to see it in action.
I am having trouble figuring out how the grid lines is placed vertically relative to the position of the model.

Without making any changes to the default setting the gird lines were placed 50 - 100' below my zero elevation of story one.
The default grid is based around the project origin, which is something that never moves in any window! Not to be confused with the user origin or the edit origin, the project origin cannot be moved and is helpful in relating/measuring your model.

A skewed grid is also based on project origin, unless you use the 'Set Skewed Grid' option in the coordinate box. Then it will be based wherever you click.
In addition I have tried to find the control which will allow me to see my section markers in the sect/elev window but have been unsuccessful. A search of the help menu and the manual has not helped. I recall that this was supposedly implemented in 10 and am excited about the feature. Thanks for any help you can provide.
There are other nice features for S/E's (such as continuous redraw, shading, story level lines) but I don't think your feature made the cut mate.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not sure we are talking about the same grid tool. I am talking about the grid tool add on that to my knowledge, has only been in existence since AC 10. You need to download this from the graphisoft web site since it does not ship with the CD. This is different from the Structural grid that is internal to archicad and a single placed grid shows in floor plan, 3d and section views.
grid.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an image of the grids as I have been able to have them display in section views, but I am having trouble adjusting the vertical position of the grid marker as shown in the attached image.
sect grid.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only way I have been able to adjust the vertical position of the grid has been setting the indicated setting to "0". Any other setting and the grid sits about 50' to 100' below the model. The grid elevation as set and placed in the plan view is at project zero.
grid settings.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess having section markers show up in other section views was too good to be true. I read this post on another thread and assumed it to be true.
Rob wrote:
dear 6randon

good news mate your dreams have come true, well at least 3 of them I know about:

1) ability to see grid lines / section lines automatically in section views whenever they cross reference
you can see them now even in the 3D window (perspective or axonometric)
Dwight
Newcomer
"Mike "BIG TEASE" Hann" wrote:
You need to download this from the graphisoft web site since

HELP?
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
HELP?
Yep! You nailed it! Go to your Help menu!

Cheers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
Goodie tools. yes.
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I am not sure we are talking about the same grid tool. I am talking about the grid tool add on that to my knowledge, has only been in existence since AC 10. You need to download this from the graphisoft web site since it does not ship with the CD. This is different from the Structural grid that is internal to archicad and a single placed grid shows in floor plan, 3d and section views.
Oh I see now. I thought you meant the main orthogonal/skewed grid. I am glad to see the Grid tool made it even as far as the Goodies - wasn't too sure how far it had come along.

I haven't played with it much, but it seems that you can stretch it with your pet palette's stretch function. Try using it on the end of the gridline to effectively insert a node where you want to stretch the end to (if you have your tracker on you will see the 'Staggering' settings change and you can enter a specific number in there if you like).Then try it again to actually stretch the end to the new node (you will see the 'Staggering Distance' change in your tracker).

Staggering stuff hey? Or you could just marquee-stretch it!
I guess having section markers show up in other section views was too good to be true. I read this post on another thread and assumed it to be true
No idea what Rob is talking about. Maybe he can show us how to do that!

Cheers,
Link.