Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Grid tool and section marker display in section windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been playing with some of the new feature in 10 and have a few questions that I have not been able to figure out. It appears that the view of the grid lines in the sect/elev window is controled individually within the setting dialog for each sect/elev window. This however is confusing, since some of these controls are adjusted by selecting the grid lines and using the grid line settings. Does anyone know of a way to make changes globally to all (or selected) sect/elev windows. I am having trouble figuring out how the grid lines is placed vertically relative to the position of the model. Without making any changes to the default setting the gird lines were placed 50 - 100' below my zero elevation of story one.

In addition I have tried to find the control which will allow me to see my section markers in the sect/elev window but have been unsuccessful. A search of the help menu and the manual has not helped. I recall that this was supposedly implemented in 10 and am excited about the feature. Thanks for any help you can provide.
91 REPLIES 91
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
No idea what Rob is talking about. Maybe he can show us how to do that!
ehm, sorry for misunderstanding I haven't read the second half of the original question - skimming the text is a bad habit and it sometimes does not work...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just been updating a large house plan and have put in the grids - after some consternation about not being able to adjust things - I have done something that has allowed me to fix all the shortcomings that I was frustrated with. Somehow, by selecting the node at the marker it would move the offset node and then I could select the bubble node to move it to the correct location. Perhaps if the setting for offset is something other than 0, the editing would be easier. This is for tomorrows testing. The fact that there are bubbles on all my elevations and sections is real nice.

Lew Bishop
Dual 2.0 G5 4 GB nVidia 6800 2- 20" Cinemas
AC 10, OSX 10.4.6
15" PB 1.5 for home
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
Here is an image of the grids as I have been able to have them display in section views, but I am having trouble adjusting the vertical position of the grid marker as shown in the attached image.
It is not possible to adjust it.
You must shut off the link with grid in section and elevation, and draw new by yourself.
If you change the position of grid in section, in the next time again the further position will be taken.
Not so good marker...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archi wrote:
It is not possible to adjust it.
You must shut off the link with grid in section and elevation, and draw new by yourself.
If you change the position of grid in section, in the next time again the further position will be taken.
Not so good marker...
I have been able to adjust the position of the markers to get the desired output, but the process is far from intuitive. It appears that you need to do this with a combination of the settings in the section dialog box and the settings of the grids themselves while they are selected in a sect/elev window. Using the editable hot spots does not seem to work since as Archi User 77 pointed out if you change these and then reopen the sect/ elev window the settings revert to what they were previously.

The method that I found to work is the vertical position of the "marker head" in the sect/elev window needs to be adjusted in the sect/elev selection settings dialog box using the "length" setting in this window (see previous posted image where value was set to zero). In my case I set this to 125' and it set the markers in the position in the attached image. Go figure what the 125' actually means. This setting can be set to multiple placed sect/elev if they are all selected on the floor plan and you go to the settings dialog box. The length of the line needs to be adjusted in the "grid element setting" when the grid lines are selected while in the sect/elev window. Look at the marker tab - geometry - length. Unfortunately this needs to be done in each sect/elev window on an individual basis.

This seems like a tool we should have had long ago and I anxiously await when the sect/elev markers will do the same. Hopefully when they are able to achieve this ability the settings will not be so cryptic...
sect grid position.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
I have been able to adjust the position of the markers to get the desired output, but the process is far from intuitive. It appears that you need to do this with a combination of the settings in the section dialog box and the settings of the grids themselves while they are selected in a sect/elev window. Using the editable hot spots does not seem to work since as Archi User 77 pointed out if you change these and then reopen the sect/ elev window the settings revert to what they were previously.

The method that I found to work is the vertical position of the "marker head" in the sect/elev window needs to be adjusted in the sect/elev selection settings dialog box using the "length" setting in this window (see previous posted image where value was set to zero). In my case I set this to 125' and it set the markers in the position in the attached image. Go figure what the 125' actually means. This setting can be set to multiple placed sect/elev if they are all selected on the floor plan and you go to the settings dialog box. The length of the line needs to be adjusted in the "grid element setting" when the grid lines are selected while in the sect/elev window. Look at the marker tab - geometry - length. Unfortunately this needs to be done in each sect/elev window on an individual basis.

This seems like a tool we should have had long ago and I anxiously await when the sect/elev markers will do the same. Hopefully when they are able to achieve this ability the settings will not be so cryptic...
Mike,

You forgot to say that you also need to make sure you are standing on one leg and playing a kazoo while you adjust the markers. And BTW it doesn't work on the third Tuesday of the month, except in Romania, France, England and Paraguay where it is the second Wednesday.

I guess this was just obvious.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Mike,

You forgot to say that you also need to make sure you are standing on one leg and playing a kazoo while you adjust the markers. And BTW it doesn't work on the third Tuesday of the month, except in Romania, France, England and Paraguay where it is the second Wednesday.

I guess this was just obvious.
It feels a bit like that sometimes and always remember to cross your fingers before trying any new setting....
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Mattew

I am waitiing for your Section Marker.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you noticed that once placed you can change the length number under parameters_geometry_length. That moves the bubble up and down for me when in section/ elevation.

I am having a problem though. My bubbles are all at the bottom of the grid lines in all 4 elevations. How did you get them to appear at the top of the lines?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I figured out how to get the bubbles to the top. Toggle the "mirror library part" box and they end up on top. Then by adjusting the length in the parameters_geometry_length entry I can get them to dance a bit...
Anonymous
Not applicable
No....

mmm...

The text is now upside down.