cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Document & Visualize forum

Grid tool and section marker display in section windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been playing with some of the new feature in 10 and have a few questions that I have not been able to figure out. It appears that the view of the grid lines in the sect/elev window is controled individually within the setting dialog for each sect/elev window. This however is confusing, since some of these controls are adjusted by selecting the grid lines and using the grid line settings. Does anyone know of a way to make changes globally to all (or selected) sect/elev windows. I am having trouble figuring out how the grid lines is placed vertically relative to the position of the model. Without making any changes to the default setting the gird lines were placed 50 - 100' below my zero elevation of story one.

In addition I have tried to find the control which will allow me to see my section markers in the sect/elev window but have been unsuccessful. A search of the help menu and the manual has not helped. I recall that this was supposedly implemented in 10 and am excited about the feature. Thanks for any help you can provide.
91 REPLIES 91

Link
Expert
I have been playing with some of the new feature in 10 and have a few questions that I have not been able to figure out. It appears that the view of the grid lines in the sect/elev window is controled individually within the setting dialog for each sect/elev window. This however is confusing, since some of these controls are adjusted by selecting the grid lines and using the grid line settings. Does anyone know of a way to make changes globally to all (or selected) sect/elev windows.

This has always been the way mate! The same goes for user origins, home views, etc - they are set individually for every window type - floor plan (although the same for all floor plans), S/E windows, Detail windows, etc.

A new feature in AC10 is the ability to open a S/E or Detail in the same window, or in new windows. You can do this via the context menu when you right click on a S/E marker or Detail Marker. 'Open Section/Elevation in New Window' will replicate AC9's behaviour, whereas 'Open Section/Elevation' will open the S/E in the same window as the previous S/E. Try opening a few S/E's and checking the list under the Window menu to see it in action.
I am having trouble figuring out how the grid lines is placed vertically relative to the position of the model.

Without making any changes to the default setting the gird lines were placed 50 - 100' below my zero elevation of story one.
The default grid is based around the project origin, which is something that never moves in any window! Not to be confused with the user origin or the edit origin, the project origin cannot be moved and is helpful in relating/measuring your model.

A skewed grid is also based on project origin, unless you use the 'Set Skewed Grid' option in the coordinate box. Then it will be based wherever you click.
In addition I have tried to find the control which will allow me to see my section markers in the sect/elev window but have been unsuccessful. A search of the help menu and the manual has not helped. I recall that this was supposedly implemented in 10 and am excited about the feature. Thanks for any help you can provide.
There are other nice features for S/E's (such as continuous redraw, shading, story level lines) but I don't think your feature made the cut mate.

Cheers,
Link.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not sure we are talking about the same grid tool. I am talking about the grid tool add on that to my knowledge, has only been in existence since AC 10. You need to download this from the graphisoft web site since it does not ship with the CD. This is different from the Structural grid that is internal to archicad and a single placed grid shows in floor plan, 3d and section views.
grid.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an image of the grids as I have been able to have them display in section views, but I am having trouble adjusting the vertical position of the grid marker as shown in the attached image.
sect grid.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only way I have been able to adjust the vertical position of the grid has been setting the indicated setting to "0". Any other setting and the grid sits about 50' to 100' below the model. The grid elevation as set and placed in the plan view is at project zero.
grid settings.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess having section markers show up in other section views was too good to be true. I read this post on another thread and assumed it to be true.
Rob wrote:
dear 6randon

good news mate your dreams have come true, well at least 3 of them I know about:

1) ability to see grid lines / section lines automatically in section views whenever they cross reference
you can see them now even in the 3D window (perspective or axonometric)

Dwight
Newcomer
"Mike "BIG TEASE" Hann" wrote:
You need to download this from the graphisoft web site since


HELP?
Dwight Atkinson

Link
Expert
HELP?
Yep! You nailed it! Go to your Help menu!

Cheers,
Link.

Dwight
Newcomer
Goodie tools. yes.
Dwight Atkinson

Link
Expert
I am not sure we are talking about the same grid tool. I am talking about the grid tool add on that to my knowledge, has only been in existence since AC 10. You need to download this from the graphisoft web site since it does not ship with the CD. This is different from the Structural grid that is internal to archicad and a single placed grid shows in floor plan, 3d and section views.
Oh I see now. I thought you meant the main orthogonal/skewed grid. I am glad to see the Grid tool made it even as far as the Goodies - wasn't too sure how far it had come along.

I haven't played with it much, but it seems that you can stretch it with your pet palette's stretch function. Try using it on the end of the gridline to effectively insert a node where you want to stretch the end to (if you have your tracker on you will see the 'Staggering' settings change and you can enter a specific number in there if you like).Then try it again to actually stretch the end to the new node (you will see the 'Staggering Distance' change in your tracker).

Staggering stuff hey? Or you could just marquee-stretch it!
I guess having section markers show up in other section views was too good to be true. I read this post on another thread and assumed it to be true
No idea what Rob is talking about. Maybe he can show us how to do that!

Cheers,
Link.

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
No idea what Rob is talking about. Maybe he can show us how to do that!
ehm, sorry for misunderstanding I haven't read the second half of the original question - skimming the text is a bad habit and it sometimes does not work...
::rk

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just been updating a large house plan and have put in the grids - after some consternation about not being able to adjust things - I have done something that has allowed me to fix all the shortcomings that I was frustrated with. Somehow, by selecting the node at the marker it would move the offset node and then I could select the bubble node to move it to the correct location. Perhaps if the setting for offset is something other than 0, the editing would be easier. This is for tomorrows testing. The fact that there are bubbles on all my elevations and sections is real nice.

Lew Bishop
Dual 2.0 G5 4 GB nVidia 6800 2- 20" Cinemas
AC 10, OSX 10.4.6
15" PB 1.5 for home

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
Here is an image of the grids as I have been able to have them display in section views, but I am having trouble adjusting the vertical position of the grid marker as shown in the attached image.
It is not possible to adjust it.
You must shut off the link with grid in section and elevation, and draw new by yourself.
If you change the position of grid in section, in the next time again the further position will be taken.
Not so good marker...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archi wrote:
It is not possible to adjust it.
You must shut off the link with grid in section and elevation, and draw new by yourself.
If you change the position of grid in section, in the next time again the further position will be taken.
Not so good marker...
I have been able to adjust the position of the markers to get the desired output, but the process is far from intuitive. It appears that you need to do this with a combination of the settings in the section dialog box and the settings of the grids themselves while they are selected in a sect/elev window. Using the editable hot spots does not seem to work since as Archi User 77 pointed out if you change these and then reopen the sect/ elev window the settings revert to what they were previously.

The method that I found to work is the vertical position of the "marker head" in the sect/elev window needs to be adjusted in the sect/elev selection settings dialog box using the "length" setting in this window (see previous posted image where value was set to zero). In my case I set this to 125' and it set the markers in the position in the attached image. Go figure what the 125' actually means. This setting can be set to multiple placed sect/elev if they are all selected on the floor plan and you go to the settings dialog box. The length of the line needs to be adjusted in the "grid element setting" when the grid lines are selected while in the sect/elev window. Look at the marker tab - geometry - length. Unfortunately this needs to be done in each sect/elev window on an individual basis.

This seems like a tool we should have had long ago and I anxiously await when the sect/elev markers will do the same. Hopefully when they are able to achieve this ability the settings will not be so cryptic...
sect grid position.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
I have been able to adjust the position of the markers to get the desired output, but the process is far from intuitive. It appears that you need to do this with a combination of the settings in the section dialog box and the settings of the grids themselves while they are selected in a sect/elev window. Using the editable hot spots does not seem to work since as Archi User 77 pointed out if you change these and then reopen the sect/ elev window the settings revert to what they were previously.

The method that I found to work is the vertical position of the "marker head" in the sect/elev window needs to be adjusted in the sect/elev selection settings dialog box using the "length" setting in this window (see previous posted image where value was set to zero). In my case I set this to 125' and it set the markers in the position in the attached image. Go figure what the 125' actually means. This setting can be set to multiple placed sect/elev if they are all selected on the floor plan and you go to the settings dialog box. The length of the line needs to be adjusted in the "grid element setting" when the grid lines are selected while in the sect/elev window. Look at the marker tab - geometry - length. Unfortunately this needs to be done in each sect/elev window on an individual basis.

This seems like a tool we should have had long ago and I anxiously await when the sect/elev markers will do the same. Hopefully when they are able to achieve this ability the settings will not be so cryptic...
Mike,

You forgot to say that you also need to make sure you are standing on one leg and playing a kazoo while you adjust the markers. And BTW it doesn't work on the third Tuesday of the month, except in Romania, France, England and Paraguay where it is the second Wednesday.

I guess this was just obvious.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Mike,

You forgot to say that you also need to make sure you are standing on one leg and playing a kazoo while you adjust the markers. And BTW it doesn't work on the third Tuesday of the month, except in Romania, France, England and Paraguay where it is the second Wednesday.

I guess this was just obvious.
It feels a bit like that sometimes and always remember to cross your fingers before trying any new setting....

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Mattew

I am waitiing for your Section Marker.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you noticed that once placed you can change the length number under parameters_geometry_length. That moves the bubble up and down for me when in section/ elevation.

I am having a problem though. My bubbles are all at the bottom of the grid lines in all 4 elevations. How did you get them to appear at the top of the lines?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I figured out how to get the bubbles to the top. Toggle the "mirror library part" box and they end up on top. Then by adjusting the length in the parameters_geometry_length entry I can get them to dance a bit...

Anonymous
Not applicable
No....


mmm...

The text is now upside down.

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!