BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Grid tool and section marker display in section windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been playing with some of the new feature in 10 and have a few questions that I have not been able to figure out. It appears that the view of the grid lines in the sect/elev window is controled individually within the setting dialog for each sect/elev window. This however is confusing, since some of these controls are adjusted by selecting the grid lines and using the grid line settings. Does anyone know of a way to make changes globally to all (or selected) sect/elev windows. I am having trouble figuring out how the grid lines is placed vertically relative to the position of the model. Without making any changes to the default setting the gird lines were placed 50 - 100' below my zero elevation of story one.

In addition I have tried to find the control which will allow me to see my section markers in the sect/elev window but have been unsuccessful. A search of the help menu and the manual has not helped. I recall that this was supposedly implemented in 10 and am excited about the feature. Thanks for any help you can provide.
91 REPLIES 91
owen
Newcomer
Has anyone had any luck with hotlinking in a grid made with this Addon?

The attached grid is done entirely with this tool .. although most of the grid arrays had to be ungrouped and extensively modified. Different grid lines are set to display on the 7 storeys, split into basement, ground and apartment levels (this in itself was very frustrating as for example some lines just didn't want to listen to what story i set in Show On Story>Selected..).

Anyway so i finally get it working and everything appearing correctly in plan and 3D windows (again things didn't want to appear at the elevation I set for them). Time to module this grid into the structural, fitout, envelope PLN's ...

... I've hotlinked every story of the grid file into each corresponding story of the model .. some lines appear, some dont. In particular if I look at the ground floor plan which should show all the gridlines - transfer between residential and basement structure occurs on this level - I cannot see anything.

Yet if merged the same grid file into the model and everything appears fine

Any ideas? I'm weighing up wether to keep the merged 3D grid and have to delete/remerge any changes into each file (shouldn't be minimal) or go back to the old 2D grid which I can at least hotlink.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I must say, dein gridline is complicated enough. I wonder how the grid tool difines your grid.
Anyway you can adjust or delete just through grid in section and elevation.
I must test many times in section window to adjust the gridline.
It is for me also very confused.
I want to master this tool, because it saves much time and work (and sure workprocess).
owen
Newcomer
it is a little complicated and yes very confusing to use - it ended up being several grid arrays, some of which had their vertical or horizontal lines deleted, along with many gridlines drawn individually using the Grid Element tool. Unless im missing something there is no way to independently draw curved gridlines .. they have to be created using the Design>Grid System>Grid System Settings.. dialog.

It would be much easier if you could simply draw lines/arcs in plan, group and convert them to gridlines - the Grid System is pretty much useless for anything but the most standard grids IMHO.

Edit: I just realise the elements placed using the Grid Element tool are GDL objects so I will have to look into this a bit more ... i guess it is possible to place curved grids using this and not the Grid System menu
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
The grid tool is not bad. This one war goodies for AC9 in Germany.
Now this grid tool with AC 10 is better to adjust it.
If we are used to use this tool, than it is very useful.
Adjusting the length of grid-ine is very nervures...
gkovacsp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
g.h.design wrote:
Here are windows 'Grid Setting'...
Your Grid Element dialog should look like the one below.
If not, please go to the work environment and adjust panel visibility of the Grid tool as the other screenshot shows (in the next post. 1 attachment /post)

Users should not see the GDL parameters of the Grid Element objects.
gkovacsp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
How to set WE correctly, if it is not automatically adjusted by Grid Tool.
Description in prev. post.
gkovacsp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Mike wrote:
Here is an image of the grids as I have been able to have them display in section views, but I am having trouble adjusting the vertical position of the grid marker as shown in the attached image.
This is an unfortunate situation, which will be fixed later in the GDL object:

There are two editable hotspots above each other.
The top one controls staggering, while the bottom one controls the length.

If you drag the Staggering hotpost away you will be able to adjust the length with the other hotspot.

You only have staggering hotspot, if the Marker is switched on for that end.
hotspots.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks,

Turning everything on in panel visibility helps things immensely.

I was wondering what was going on... Now they seem to be working well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks so much for the explaination. I found the fix yesterday by accident and have been able to re-grid most of a project easily. I my case the two hot spots were visibly on top of each other and made the effort more difficult.

Lew Bishop
AC10
OSX 10.4.6
g5dual2.0 4GB nVidia6800
1.5PB15" 1.5GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice. I have re-adjusted my work environment per your recommendation and hope that will make this incredibly valuable tool a little more user friendly. I anxiously await when section/elevation markers offer the same view status in the 3d windows...
Learn and get certified!