BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

HDRI Scale

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am unable to get the scale correct when rendering with HDRI backgrounds. The trees make my model look like it’s in the land of the giants.
I have tried matching rendering size with HDRI image file size (pixels)
I’m using the supplied HDRI files in Archicad 19, I have also tried a few others but have the same issue ?
any suggestions ?
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Those sort of HDRI seem to work best for reflection / lighting, rather than planting a building in the middle of it.

You'll want the sky panorama type of HDRI for buildings, I'd say, if you plan to also use it as the background.

http://hdrmaps.com/freebies here are some good free ones. (I'm sure there are more sites out there)
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erwin
I have been watching tutorials from Andreas Lettner on using Cine Render and he gets great results with HDRI images for lighting and background. It just seems odd that the files don’t seem to change scale, as a generic background/foreground it would be nice and quick.
Using the sky only images is fine and I get good lighting but I was hoping to get more by using something with a bit of greenery in the background.
Ill carry on but if any one down know how to adjust the scaling of any HDRI image in AC please let me know.
Thanks
Dane
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Thing is, the projection is 360 degrees, so it really is just a small clearing in a forest, or if you look at the link I posted, you see photo's under a bridge, or in a room etc. It is not so much to do with the scale of things. Your camera is the middle of that panorama.

So you'll need a large clearing in a forest for this to work, if you follow what I mean.

There are some sky panoramas with some forest on the horizon, though.

If you are looking for some stuff to reflect in glass, you can also put something behind the camera on a curved surface to fake it.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!