Document & Visualize forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Can't change color of materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
I constantly struggle with the "Materials" in ArchiCAD, probably because of my lack of knowledge on them. I want to take the material " Siding-4" H" and change the color from the default white to a gray. So, I open Options-Element Attributes-Materials. What do I do from here? I've tried changing the surface color, the specular color, etc to no avail. Can anyone guide me on this seemingly easy task?
15 REPLIES 15

Erika Epstein
Booster
Steve,
First, duplicate the material as you never know how other library parts or a colleague may use the original.

To change the color of the material, double click on the colored rectangle to the right of the words "surface material".

I was going to admonish you for not looking in the help or reference in the Help menu, but there doesn't seem to be an explanation.

I also suggest buying one of Dwight's books as they go over the basics of these settings box and you will find his tomes invaluable.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"

Steve:

In addition to Erika's advice, be warned that the materials' Alpha Channel Effects do not appear in the 3D Window (even OpenGL with textures). The correct color will show in Renderings, but the material you show in your screen shot (for example) will always appear white with black lines when showing textures in OpenGL, or as the color you set under "Surface Color:" under the Internal Engine Shading (or OpenGL without textures).

David
David Maudlin / Architect

www.davidmaudlin.com

Digital Architecture

AC24 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.15.7

Karl Ottenstein
....and so if it is essential to see the color in the OpenGL window, you need to edit the texture image in a photo editor and change the color there...
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6.5, iMac Pro

Dwight
Newcomer
Erika wrote:

I also suggest buying one of Dwight's books as they go over the basics of these settings box and you will find his tomes invaluable.
"Tome, tome on the range, where the beer and the fingertips play…"

"LightWorks in Archicad" remains on sale throughout the Christmas season as indicated below.
Dwight Atkinson

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Erika wrote:

"Tome, tome on the range, where the beer and the fingertips play…"
Ohhhh, that gave me quite a laugh!

I see now, for some stupid reason you can't tell the color in the 3D window, you have to do a photorender to actually see the color change.

All the countless hours spent messing around trying to change the color when it was changing all along....

OK, so what if I want to show a client a project by "flying" around it in 3D perspective using the explore tool, and have the siding changed to a different color? Do I have to manually update the color in a separate photo software, then bring it back in, as Karl explained?? You should be able to change the color and have it change all around; 3D window, photorender, and the preview box in the material settings.

WISH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I second that "stupid". Good grief, for such an expensive program it sure has some dumb characteristics.

Wish, wish!!

Dwight
Newcomer
Just to clarify, in case anyone is confused, that the various methods of rendering an Archicad view aren't connected and neither are material definitions. Changing the appearance of a material throughout all rendering methods is a tedious, manual task.

This comes about since Archicad evolves from imaging technology from the last century. Before some of you were even born.

So sorry. Being Canadian, let me apologize for Zoltan and Laszlo who have no doubt been sent to the basement to make outlandish materials as punishment for this oversight.

Things were well connected before LightWorks arrived. Then, a single definition made in the Internal engine renderer controlled color, reflectance and texture mapping. The internal 3D viewer and the Internal rendering engine both referenced these values.

When LightWorks arrived, a whole new way of surfacing came along and the only way to use the existing definitions is through repeated use of the "Match With Infernal Engine" button.

It probably won't get fixed. Rendering is obviously not a Graphisoft priority and ten years ago, when I complained about Archicad's bad materials, I was told "Let them buy the Artlantis shaders…" I think that man descended from Marie Antoinette.
match.jpg
Dwight Atkinson

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,
Thank you for the history and explanation. But, being a total beginner at these material/rendering things, I'm still not clear on what you said.

I tried changing the surface color of 06 | w Siding-08" H and then clicking on "Match with Internal Engine". What is that supposed to do for us? It didn't show the new color with the texture in OpenGL in the 3D window. Should it? If not that, then what does it do?

Thank you,
Doug

Doug wrote:
I tried changing the surface color of 06 | w Siding-08" H and then clicking on "Match with Internal Engine". What is that supposed to do for us?
It changes the LightWorks settings to match the Internal Engine settings, it does not effect the OpenGl at all.
Doug wrote:
It didn't show the new color with the texture in OpenGL in the 3D window. Should it?
No, see my earlier reply (Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:49 am) in this thread.

David
David Maudlin / Architect

www.davidmaudlin.com

Digital Architecture

AC24 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.15.7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, David. Obviously I need to study this stuff to get a handle on the basics.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys, I also struggle with this. I am very new to Archicad so apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Everything in my 3d window looks grey. I am trying to make a colorbond shed. When I go to options / element attributes / materials I change the surface colour to anything (like bright green) nothing happens in the 3D window. I understand from the posts above that it won't change the 3D it will only change what gets output when you do a photorender. So I do a photorender ane the whole thing still looks grey.

When I choose other items for the walls and roof from the model settings like Brick, the brick colours show up fine in both views showing the texture and the color but the chanegs to the material colour that I make dont' seem to work. I have tried the internal rendering engine and the lightworks rendering engine (I don't really understand what they mean). I have tried all rendering engines in fact both on the material settings and the photo render settings. I select every option that I think could have an impact on the quality of the final render but no good.

I also in desperation found the corrogated iron texture in the library, coped it, edited it in photoshop to give it a new colour, re-loaded the library then selected the new texture in the material window. this didn't change the appearance either in the 3D window or in the photorender immediately but then at some point (im not exactly sure when) seemed to change everything on the page (all walls, roofs etc) to the new material. Which is not what I wanted but I seem to be getting somewhere. If there is something obvious that I am doing that anyone can help with please let me know otherwise I'll push on anyway and if I figure it out I'll post back with where I got to with it!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
OK, so what if I want to show a client a project by "flying" around it in 3D perspective using the explore tool, and have the siding changed to a different color?
WISH!
So, just to be clear, there is no way to change the color of a material that has "texture" so that the change shows up when "flying" around in 3D. Is that right? If so, what do the experts here do to accomplish this valuable task?

Thank you,
Doug

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I understand it, the "material" is an actual image, jpeg or similar, so no, you cannot change the color of an existing image. The "texture" of a material can be changed, this is what you would see in an exterior elevation, clapboards for example. That can be changed for any material.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
As I understand it, the "material" is an actual image, jpeg or similar, so no, you cannot change the color of an existing image. The "texture" of a material can be changed, this is what you would see in an exterior elevation, clapboards for example. That can be changed for any material.
Steve—So, did you find a way to change colors of materials so you they would show up in OpenGDL as you showed a client the model in 3D?

Doug

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just stumbled on this. I can't seem to find an colour options for Door or Windows, mainly in the 3D view. Any solutions found to this?

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!