BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

HIde elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does ArchiCAD offer an option to hide elements on layouts? For instance the view I have shows cutting through a tree (trees look terrible, and invasion of triangles!).
14 REPLIES 14
schagemann
Enthusiast
To state the obvious what you can see is due to the section plane cutting through an element, in this case the terrain and some parts of the tree.

There is no way to hide this by a simple button click, however you. an do the following:

A. move the tree
B. use a silhouette tree - the tree you are using is not only high in polygon count, it is also hideous;
C. use a white cover fill without outline to mask the parts you do not want to see
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Barry Kelly
D. Turn the layer off - but of course anything else in that layer will be turned off.
E. Move the section line or add nodes to the section line so it passes around the tree.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, seems ArchiCAD is not so tremendous. Both these options seem like a 'work around'.

I must admit i'm now seriously concerned about a few graphical elements of this package. Ive spent hours trying to make decent drawings, but these 2d tools and layout production are not intuitive like the modelling seems to be. Perhaps im missing something.

If there is no ability to hide a cut object from a view, how does this work when you are in a complex major project like a hospital, and you need to create individual room elevations but you don't have time to place section lines that avoid cutting objects within the room, or creating multiple layers to hide cut objects on?

How do you create decent planning drawings if trees are appearing like this. Are there other tree library parts, or do you rely on photoshop?
Barry Kelly
Mac_the_arc wrote:
Wow, seems ArchiCAD is not so tremendous. Both these options seem like a 'work around'.
I am guessing you have your Revit hat on.
Archicad does not work like Revit, so don't expect it to do the same things.

Mac_the_arc wrote:
If there is no ability to hide a cut object from a view, how does this work when you are in a complex major project like a hospital, and you need to create individual room elevations but you don't have time to place section lines that avoid cutting objects within the room, or creating multiple layers to hide cut objects on?

How do you create decent planning drawings if trees are appearing like this. Are there other tree library parts, or do you rely on photoshop?

Me personally, yes, I would cut the sections around objects I don't want to cut or place objects in layers that can be turned off.

To hide elements you could give the a different renovation status to everything else, and then use a renovation filer that hides that status.
That is assuming that you don't want to use the renovation filters for there intended purpose.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
The Elevation Tool does have the ability to hide cut elements.
The Section Tool doesn't, I'm guessing because it hides all walls and slabs etc that are also cut - which doesn't seem useful especially for a Section so keep that in mind when using the checkbox in the Elevation Tool. It'll hide ALL elements that are cut.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Brad Elliott
Booster
I like James suggestion but it looks like you are cutting a mesh for grade which could be an issue. If that is a 2d fill then no problem. I also like Barry's option E. This works for me 99% of the time in a simple and clean fashion. Get to know the elevation tool, the cut line and bug do not have to be together and neither do the extents, taken together this gets you a lot of flexibility.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lets hope Graphisoft can come up with an ability to fix this, unless im missing something this is a major setback for the workflow within ARCHICAD. As designers and producers of production information we should not be having to think so far in advance in terms of planning where section lines are placed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Mac_the_arc wrote:
I am guessing you have your Revit hat on.
Archicad does not work like Revit, so don't expect it to do the same things.

Mac_the_arc wrote:

Me personally, yes, I would cut the sections around objects I don't want to cut or place objects in layers that can be turned off.

To hide elements you could give the a different renovation status to everything else, and then use a renovation filer that hides that status.
That is assuming that you don't want to use the renovation filters for there intended purpose.

Barry.
Thanks Barry, the renovation filters was the first good surprise in ArchiCAD and works very smoothly, unlike Revit which is very clunky. That said I cannot yet get my head around the fact that text within a view will appear on all views, I don't see the sense in that. Certain drawings need specific text, and creating multiple layers just to control text seems counter productive so at the moment im placing this on the layouts and leaving the model to update as and when needed. Im sure with time I will learn more workflow options with ArchiCAD.
Barry Kelly
Mac_the_arc wrote:
Lets hope Graphisoft can come up with an ability to fix this, unless im missing something this is a major setback for the workflow within ARCHICAD. As designers and producers of production information we should not be having to think so far in advance in terms of planning where section lines are placed.

I disagree.
We should be placing sections exactly where we want to to be.
If you want the option to not see what is cut, use the elevation tool as suggested by James.

I can't imagine the complexity to control each element to say it shows in sections 1, 2, 5 & 6, but not in sections 2 & 3.
Sure you can simply select an element in a section and say 'Hide', but then how do you select it to 'Un-hide' - as you can't see it.
So you would have to go back to plan and search along the section line to find what is being cut and reset it there?
Or each section would have to have a list in its settings listing all of the elements that are being cut.

All well and good for something as insignificant as a tree, but what if a wall or slab is hidden and gets missed of the final drawings?

It is a nice idea, but I think it would just over complicate things.
Just place the section where required and/or use layer to turn elements on/off.
But that is just my opinion.

Actually you could also set up a Graphic Override to change the element to white.
It won't print but it may still cover what is behind it which isn't a good look.
Maybe we need a true 'Hide' option in graphic overrides rather than just an override.

This has all been discussed before of course, and here is one of a few wishes that apply to this topic.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62181

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!