BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

HIde elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does ArchiCAD offer an option to hide elements on layouts? For instance the view I have shows cutting through a tree (trees look terrible, and invasion of triangles!).
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly
Mac_the_arc wrote:
That said I cannot yet get my head around the fact that text within a view will appear on all views, I don't see the sense in that.

Text can have a renovation status as well.
So it will hide along with the elements.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Barry, (and without sounding patronising), form this response I think you don't have the experience of large complex jobs, and so far I am struggling to see how ArchiCAD would cope with these large projects with demanding clients and constant room review. This is perhaps why the main Public sector (NHS, Schools) are using Revit.

In Revit you either hide or graphically over-ride elements that are cut or in the way, and do this on an elevation by elevation method in the view you are looking at. It does not hide anything in any of the model. This is especially critical in creating room layouts where you don't want to see fitments (loose or otherwise) in section or part section. You can easily unhide these later I needed. Many of these rooms during the stakeholder process undergo development with components either being added, moved or deleted. The method you are describing seems overly complicated and would certainly be hugely time consuming, and after the third or fourth iteration of room review would become a commercial disaster for any practice.

If you have the ability to report to ArchiCAD for suggested development, then this is one I would strongly suggest is a must.
jl_lt
Ace
Mr. Mac the arc, what you mention is one of the reasons i never took off using revit. I just couldnt believe that you needed to do that (manually hiding stuff) which in my view can cause infinite visualition errors and inconsistencies. If Revit users can correct this opinion, please, do so.

What you need can be handled with layers for diferent types of texts, proper use of layers for objects and layer combinations that show what you need for a given situation or plan type. Yes, its a bit of a chore to set it all up (like, a BIG shore), but once its done, it works like magic.

Also, i find it poor taste and disrespectful to point out what kind of projects you think another person handles or not, specially when they are trying to help.
JSN
Enthusiast
Mac_the_arc wrote:
The method you are describing seems overly complicated and would certainly be hugely time consuming, and after the third or fourth iteration of room review would become a commercial disaster for any practice.
Interesting, just had the same thought while reading your lines describing this "customized overrides per layout" approach. The big benefit of applying such settings on a "global" scale is that it's way easier to keep perspective and control - the bigger the project the more important this becomes!

Apart from that I can only agree with my previous poster - manually hiding stuff, especially in large scale projects, can lead to dangerous inconsistencies - however I strongly suggest you to objectively review the concepts and logics of layer combinations, model view options, graphic overrides and rennovation filters as all you want to achieve is there.

Moreover I think it is indeed very important that you are very precise when it comes to documentation, meaning that you either see your tree as a whole or not at all and if there is something wrong with your either your planning or your modelling. If you need to "cover something up" you just did a shoddy work. This might be necessary in competitions to solve something quick and dirty, but should never be the case in later phases as this is not only giving you headaches but also very dangerous! Needless to say that this should be considered no matter what software you use in the end ...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Actually you could also set up a Graphic Override to change the element to white.
It won't print but it may still cover what is behind it which isn't a good look.
I found this (among the various that people here have presented) is the best solution for this small issue. To prevent the white surfaces covering things on background, just add a surface override with an invisible material.

Besides this. I think that a BIM application that is capable to handle the entire process of building the second tallest building on earth, is perfect capable to handle public sector projects like a simple school or hospital.
Just my 2 cents.
Learn and get certified!