Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

HOW DO I PLACE A PLOTMAKER DRAWING NUMBER IN ARCHICAD

Fritz T
Booster
Does anyone know if it is possible to place a hotlinked autotext reference to a specific drawing number in a Plotmaker layout book using either the Text tool or the Label tool.

This option exists as part of the text settings in the section tool, i.e. to reference a section drawing to a specific sheet.
I've studied the helpfiles and guides, but it does not seem to be possible.
AC 6, through 27

iMac 27' 3,1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

500GB OS X12.7.3 Monterey
8 REPLIES 8
I don't remember exactly where I saw this, but it is possible.

In PlotMaker, highlight the view, or PMK you want to make reference to in the ArchiCAD model. Under the Edit menu you'll find the line that says Set as AutoText Reference. With the item highlighted, select this.

Once you've done that create a text block in PlotMaker and then select the line from the edit manu that says Insert AutoText for "viewname". This will create a long string of text on the plotMaker layout. Open this as if to edit it, copy the contents and paste into the ArchiCAD text block where you're making reference to this drawing. In ArchiCAD you'll see a long garble of text. Save ArchiCAD and update the view where you've pasted the reference. You should see the reference correctly.

Try this on a dummy ArchiCAD / Plotmaker file pair first and experiment with the different pieces of AutoText you can reference back to ArchiCAD.

Its convoluted, but I think it does work.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Fritz T
Booster
... select the line from the edit manu that says Insert AutoText for "viewname".

Hi: thanks for the advice. However, I can't seem to get past the above step. When I open that item off the edit menu, the option does not seem to be listed in the list of possible Autotext options?
AC 6, through 27

Fritz T
Booster
...this is what happens when you don't preview...
Sorry wrong posting commands used, Im sure you understand what Im trying to say...
AC 6, through 27

Sorry,

highight the view and choose "Set as AutoText Reference".

Then create a new textblock, and choose "Insert AutoText for Drawing" (this isn't the same command as insert AutoText).

Close text block editing dialog. Reopen this. you'll see the long strin of stuff I spoke of. select and copy all of this - then paste to ArchiCAD.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Fritz T
Booster
It works! Makes co-ordination of drawing numbers and references soooo much easier and simpler ...

Thank you for your help!
AC 6, through 27

Aussie John
Newcomer
Fritz wrote:
It works! Makes co-ordination of drawing numbers and references soooo much easier and simpler ...

Thank you for your help!

yyes tht is good but pity cant just link the detail to the drawing and automatically places the back reference with out all the copying and pasting (unless i'm missing something)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Fritz T
Booster
Yes, like an extension of the label tool, so that you can add a hotlinked drawing reference note.

I see it is possible to refer the 2d detail marker object to the drawing and sheet number in the layout book, when choosing the "plotmaker" option in the "text setting" item in the object dialogue. This is similar in the section tool.

I do find it slightly confusing seeing the subsequent text string that appears in preview on the ac drawing in plan view, just in terms of tidying up the text, avoiding overtyping etc.

Another useful function would be to be able to generate a dynamic list or index of drawings in a layout book i.e. to place on a title page of a set of cd's.
AC 6, through 27

TomWaltz
Participant
Aussie wrote:
Fritz wrote:

Thank you for your help!

yyes tht is good but pity cant just link the detail to the drawing and automatically places the back reference with out all the copying and pasting (unless i'm missing something)
I've long desired a tool to link any "view" in a View Set in Archicad, so markers/notes could refer to details, sections, other plans, the same plan at a different scale, etc.....
Tom Waltz