Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

HOW TO BE ORGANIZED A SLAB WITH DIFFERENT FINISHES

Anonymous
Not applicable
i want to design a slab with different finishes(must visible in 2d/3d detail). is this possible? i designed a house plan on 1:50 scale, but I remember that living room and baths have different finishes and different layer thickness inside that. how this details must be draw on archicad? should I draw another slab for every different finish?
I couldn't finding any videos on youtube related with this subject.
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
gunes:

Yes, add Slabs with a different Surface (finish) and SEO (Solid Element Operation) them from he main Slab.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Model it as you would build it. It depends on the type of structure you'll use to build it.
For example, if you'll use a concrete slab as main structure, then use a composite that only has concrete as core and create the slab to its whole extent. Then create composites for the different finishes with their corresponding composite layers and thickness. Take advantage of the fact that AC lets you create composites without a core skin and that you can use the bottom reference plane for these finish slabs. You won't need to use SEO if you set this up correctly and have correct building material intersection priorities assigned.

This has several advantages:
* Should you export to IFC, you'll only have one structural slab instead of a lot of little core pieces of slabs that form the main slab.
* You don't need SEO.
* Priority Based Connections should take care of intersections with walls if several adjacent areas have the same finish.
* You have a great deal of control options for these elements and documenting their properties.
* Changes to main structure or finishes are easier to handle, for example, change the main slab thickness once instead of doing it inside each composite structure with different finish.

On the downside, you have to keep track of more elements... but that's the way it happens en real life anyway.

Hope it is a bit clear.
Best regards.
terzer
Contributor
One big disadvantage:
You cannot annotate the skins correctly in section with this method using the label tool. If you have concrete slab (one element) and then floor finish as a second slab the label tool will only annotate the finish, without mentioning the concrete slab and the ceiling finish. This annotation method is used in my country