BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

HP DesignJet 110 uses colored ink to print black rendering

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
After getting good high quality sketch renderings into my layouts I am now faced with a different problem. When I print the layouts with the sketch renders in them my HP 110 DesignJet prints the rendering and only the rendering with color inks even though the rendering is black lines in ArchiCAD and I have set ArchiCAD to print in Black and White.
As a workaround I tried printing the layouts to a PDF to see if the problem is in ArchiCAD or in the printer. When I printed the layouts to Acrobat the black sketch renders showed up a good quality black sketch renders. They look great in the PDF.
So I tried printing from the PDF and the renders still came out in either teal or magenta or teal fading to magenta. They actually look pretty cool but not something I can show to my clients.

There is a setting in the printer's print dialog to use only black ink. When I select that setting the renders come out all with black lines but the rendering quality is rougher.

I'm posting this on the ArchiCAD Talk forum in case anyone else has had this problem and know what is causing it and how to fix it.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Aloha,
John
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Hi John,

Not familiar with the HP 110. You might try going to the Drawing Settings for the placed sketch render and changing the Colors control to grayscale. (You won't see a Pens setting there - because this is an image, not a line drawing.)

The print driver might still use color inks, though. Worth a shot...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Hi John,

Not familiar with the HP 110. You might try going to the Drawing Settings for the placed sketch render and changing the Colors control to grayscale. (You won't see a Pens setting there - because this is an image, not a line drawing.)

The print driver might still use color inks, though. Worth a shot...

Cheers,
Karl
Aloha Karl,
Thanks for the tip on how to force a rendering to be grayscale or black and white. I tried setting this to black and white but it still printed the rendering in magenta and the line drawings in black and white.
It seems to be a problem with the printer so I've also posted this on the HP forum. I mostly posted it here in case other ArchiCAD users encountered this problem.
Happy Thanksgiving
Aloha,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the same problem with my HP 110. Let me (us) know what you learn.

My young whiz had to "graduate" to a bigger job, ...slow times.

-JS
Learn and get certified!