Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Help with basic rendering option...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am new to ArchiCAD and the rendering options. I came from using AutoCAD for drafting and SketchUp as my model builder/rendering tool. So far I love ArchiCAD but I am having a really tough time figuring out how to get just basic sketches from the model/rendering side. I have played with the Cinerender option and that's awesome with what you can do with the lights, materials etc. but I also find it super time consuming. Is there a way to just get a nice basic sketch or basic daylight rendering that doesn't look quite so polished and that is easier to pull quickly? I tried the Indoor Daylight Fast option but that seems to loose a lot of line work. I'm attaching an example of a sketch from SketchUp - you can get these really quickly (usually less than 30 seconds) w/ very little post rendering work needed. Is there any way to get something like this from ArchiCAD? Trying to find some simple alternatives to the photo-realistic options w/ all the lights and all that. Thank you in advance for any help/tips/advice, much appreciated.

sketch-1.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=52836 I put some tips here for sketchy style renders. Requires a bit of photoshop or similar (gimp, etc) software.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi DG - Thank you for the reply. Those links actually only show how to use the sketch feature. What I don't see is a way to achieve a colored sketch. I find the regular sketch feature pretty intuitive to use though, just wish theres was a colored sketch option. Thank you for sharing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erwin - I found another video on YouTube last night by Shoegnome which uses a pretty quick and simple method of creating a B/W sketch first and and then another fast color rendering using the "internal engine" option and then merging the two images together in Photoshop. It's just strange to me that with everything this program does it cannot produce a colored sketch on it's own...strange. It's funny though I'm learning as I go that it does do quite a lot but it does not do some of the most basic things 😉 The video I found is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbCjO7vLOVQ
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Sketch render takes less than a minute though, so it is hardly extra effort. I generally do a bit of photoshop anyway to desaturate colours a bit and do some vignetting.

Sketch lines help me define the edges a bit in renders and suggest a bit more illustration, which I prefer over suggesting photo realism to the point where client might feel he can't engage in discussion about the design.

Internal rendering can actually take more time than a fast physical render (with a few tweaks for glass surfaces), but that might be my (old!) Xeon processors that are more at home with cinerender than the old internal engine.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5