Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Helvetica Font off centre

Brendon Reid
Booster

Hi All

I have encountered a Font issue that is not specific to Archicad version or platform. I have a commercial Font (Helvetica) that displays offset from its centre. It means that when called into an object (such as a Label or Marker etc), it never displays in the position intended. See attached image: 'OFFSET FONT' is the offending font - notice it sits higher in its bounding box. 'PERFECTLY ALIGNED FONT' is how most other fonts locate within its bounding box. It has nothing to do with the Text Style setting 'Leading' as this is set to 100%.

I have tested this in multiple Archicad versions (22,23,24,25) and on both Windows 10 and Mac OS 10 and 11. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know of a fix? It is driving me around the bend!

Thanks
Brendon
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), i9, 64GB RAM, macOS Big Sur, Windows 10 (Bootcamp)
Archicad User since 1994
15 REPLIES 15
Barry Kelly

I am on Windows but am not seeing this.

What happens if you mix Arial (or another font) and Helvetica all in the same piece of text.

BarryKelly_0-1645684279574.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Brendon Reid
Booster

See attached. Adding another font to the textbox does appear to 'recentre' it. It is bizarre. This is actually a client (on Windows) who I developed a template for who is using this Font. We have had nothing but trouble. I am wondering if it started with me developing a template on Mac with this font and passed the issue on. I might try a New & Reset All on Windows and start with this font outside the template and see. Cheers

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994

That is strange.

Is it the same if you go Helvetica/Arial in the same text?

This is the info for Helvetica when I open the font file.

BarryKelly_0-1645686207685.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I should have clarified, the font name is actually 'Helvetica LT Pro' and is an OpenType font. There have been issues in the past with OpenType fonts according to here https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Open-Type-Fonts-Shift/m-p/145228/page/2?attachment-... . I have just opened Windows 10 and the same issue is occurring in a brand new Archicad session. I wonder if it is actually a bug? 

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994

It gets even more interesting.

When I look at the properties for my Arial font, it is an Open Type font.

So I am guessing it can't be a problem with all open type fonts.

I just checked through some more OT fonts - some are OK and some are shifted.

Calibri for example is shifted up.

Must be to do with how the font was created and Archicad just doesn't handle it well.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru

Looking at your images, your text alignment looks fine... What is different is your Space Above. Hence why it looks normal when with another font. Without the other font on the same line, it is shrinking your bounding box. If you multiline, does the Space Above have an impact or does it use Line Spacing

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Eduardo Rolon

This has been a Mac bug Issue since IIRC AC12, I gave up on reporting it during the Betas.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Hi Eduardo

Unfortunately, my issue is not specific to Mac in this instance. I can replicate on both Mac and Windows!

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994

Hi Ling

Yes, the space above is impacted. Multiline doesn't change anything. Line Spacing occurs, but the Text still offsets up

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994