BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Helvetica Font off centre

Brendon Reid
Booster

Hi All

I have encountered a Font issue that is not specific to Archicad version or platform. I have a commercial Font (Helvetica) that displays offset from its centre. It means that when called into an object (such as a Label or Marker etc), it never displays in the position intended. See attached image: 'OFFSET FONT' is the offending font - notice it sits higher in its bounding box. 'PERFECTLY ALIGNED FONT' is how most other fonts locate within its bounding box. It has nothing to do with the Text Style setting 'Leading' as this is set to 100%.

I have tested this in multiple Archicad versions (22,23,24,25) and on both Windows 10 and Mac OS 10 and 11. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know of a fix? It is driving me around the bend!

Thanks
Brendon
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), i9, 64GB RAM, macOS Big Sur, Windows 10 (Bootcamp)
Archicad User since 1994
15 REPLIES 15
Lingwisyer
Guru

So, if you line up the bottoms of two text boxes, and put multiple lines of text in both, one in Helv LT Pro and the other in some other default font, the top lines become out of line?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

If it is happening on both platforms, Brendon, then it is likely a glitch in the invisible 'font metrics' embedded in that OpenType font.  You might look for a free font editor that lets you examine the metrics, or see if the vendor has an update.

If you have Adobe apps, you might try seeing what the bounding box is in Illustrator or Photoshop vs a font that centers text vertically?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

P.S. to last message (can't edit message from Safari for some reason)... I just tested with Photoshop... and a variety of the 100's of fonts I have show the issue you're seeing.  In PS, if you have it, place some text, highlight it, and then with the font drop-down, just moved your mouse down the list of fonts.   The text changes dynamically as rapidly as you drag into the various fonts... and all kinds of fonts have spacing like you're seeing... and some much worse.  I'm guessing that the font metrics for these fonts allocate space for some kind of subscripts or other below-the-line elements included in the font.   So.... I'd recommend just switching to a font that 'works' (or get a font editor and 'fix' yours if attached to it).

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Hi Ling

See attached. You are right, the Line Spacing is actually impacted. Other than the font itself, the text settings are identical

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994

Hi Karl

Really appreciate you looking into this and making comments. Unfortunately, I think you might be right! It is frustrating that these problems aren't identified until after their purchase!

Thanks
Brendon
Archicad User since 1994
Lingwisyer
Guru

Ok, so AC lets fonts dictate the line spacing. Always used the same two fonts that have the same spacing so did not know that. If you are able to edit the font, you will want to increase the Ascent of the font.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!