Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

How do I get AC to stop asking me ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
... whether or not to save each rendered image when I close a tab?

I do a lot of quick partial renders to check stuff in 3D, and don't want to save them. It is aggravating and disruptive to have to tell it to not save every single one of them.

I'm unable to find how to disable this in the program - does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yeah, it is annoying when one is quickly creating multiple fast test renders and one has to click this Dialog each time such a rendered view is closed.
We should have some option around this.
For example, on Windows, when you delete something it is moved to the Recycle Bin. But if you press the SHIFT button while deleting it it will delete it permanently.
Similarly, in ARCHICAD when we press SHIFT while clicking the X in the title of a rendered view, it could be closed without ARCHICAD asking whether we want to save it or not.
(This tip should be displayed in the Dialog that comes up when closing such a view so people would know about it, otherwise they would never find out about this hidden capability).

You should create a wish about this. I would vote Essential.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
mc0m wrote:
... whether or not to save each rendered image when I close a tab?

I do a lot of quick partial renders to check stuff in 3D, and don't want to save them. It is aggravating and disruptive to have to tell it to not save every single one of them.

I'm unable to find how to disable this in the program - does anyone know?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Switch to your floor plan view and then go to the 'WINDOW' menu and choose 'Close All Background Windows' - but make sure you have saved any you do want to keep.

It will close all other views and layouts as well but these are easy enough to open again.

Barry.

PS I keep forgetting to check version 20 (not really using it yet).
In there the option is 'Close All Other Tabs And Windows' but it still prompts you to save each image (even if you turn the TAB bar off).

So I agree it would be nice to be able to close them without being prompted to save of not.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
Wish made:
Bypass "Save Changes"
VOTE
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
DGSketcher
Legend
Rather than AC generating a new picture every time, how about it only ever creates one rendered image and overwrites it if it hasn't been saved or created as a separate tab?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Lingwisyer
Guru
DGSketcher wrote:
Rather than AC generating a new picture every time, how about it only ever creates one rendered image and overwrites it if it hasn't been saved or created as a separate tab?
That's partially of what I miss from using VRay on 3dsMax. Being able to render over selected parts of your last render / catalogued renders... It allows you to re-render just parts of a scene that have changed as well as create test shots at 100% of select regions.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Lingwisyer wrote:
... as well as create test shots at 100% of select regions.
You can use the Marquee Tool on the 3D Window to render just a select region.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
TMA_80
Enthusiast
This indeed is an annoying message .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
mikas
Expert
I gave my important vote to Marc's wish.
C4D has Picture Viewer which allows deleting any number of renders with one time command. I think this same behavior would be more than welcome with ArchiCAD.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS