Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

How do you get a continuous tube of light?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Gentleman and ladies
I have a problem that i'm sure you might roll your eyes at. Sorry I don't have Dwights book (a bit hard to convince bosses to part with cash).

What I'm trying to achieve is to have continuous tube lighting around the top of my room. None of the lighting library parts will do as they tend to have rays/globs of lights not the smooth look that i'm after. Our supplier of Archicad here in New Zealand didn't know how to achieve this without more investigation.
Does anyone out there know how to achieve this?
Regards Gareth
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gareth,

One solution is to have multiple light cones, close enough so you don't get a scalloped shape pattern on your walls, but far enough apart to still render in a reasonable time. With high falloff and "light stops" setting above floor level (so the light doesn't reach the floor) and no casting shadows (?) this can be made to look like a continuous band of light.

Try this link... http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=37851&highlight=pelmet#37851

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks very much Stuart that will be very helpful. You seem to be way more helpful than that Dwight guy who only seems to want to sell his book on here.
Anonymous
Not applicable
He put a lot of effort into that book. And quite a decent percentage of it has appeared here in the Forum too. You know what those "Americans" are like though, always in your face.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Gareth wrote:
Thanks very much Stuart that will be very helpful. You seem to be way more helpful than that Dwight guy who only seems to want to sell his book on here.
I think that isnt particularly fair. Dwight is very helpful. And he is Canadian not American. He bows to the Queen just like us
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
andrewzarb
Booster
s2art wrote:
You know what those "Americans" are like
My step sister is one of those, born in Toronto
Dwight
Newcomer
Gareth wrote:
I didn't answer Gareth's post yesterday because Stuart got here first. Of course, Stuart GOT that answer from page 136 of my book since I solved his optometrist shop lighting problem last year. ALong with dozens of other problems including the now-eradicated "Black soffit" and "Spotty stucco" diseases.

It has been nice to see how my book has improved lighting solutions since it arrived last fall. Readers and students of mine are now sharing those solutions as they make their way into Archicad illustrator minds.

So now we seem to have a Forum member expecting that I should jump right on it every time someone asks a question that draws on my private research and experimentation - to solve problems that Graphisoft hasn't, and write personal essays about it to them in private messages. And if I don't, I receive a dig, here.

In short, I'm supposed to give away what I know with illustrations for free and am resented when I suggest privately that a Forum member should buy my book - After he writes privately with the sucker's "just a short question" message. Of course, I remember how I felt when I wrote to our local totem pole expert with a question and she suggested thet I buy HER book: cheap and embarassed.

Shame on Forum members who are too cheap to buy this full color detailed book that answers most Archicad illustration dilemmas in ArchiCAD AND comes with a FREE supplement to ArchiCAD 10. I have written and published this project ENTIRELY at my own risk. So go figure.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gareth Hammond wrote:
Sorry I don't have Dwights book (a bit hard to convince bosses to part with cash).
I had that problem too. It took me a while but here's how I solved it:

1) I asked Dwight for a few example pages of his book
2) I showed these too my boss
3) I showed him alot of the images from this forum
4) I compared the cost of the book to the cost of buying Artlantis R, also pointing out that the book has many generic tips in it that can be used with any rendering package.

He finally bought it, and life was good again.
TomWaltz
Participant
There's always the possibility of buying it for yourself and using it to improve your marketability. Yes, it's pricey for casual reading, but I believe in people investing in themselves.

Yes, I own a copy of my own copy in addition to the copies some of my clientele and employers have bought. It also looks impressive to have things like Graphic Standards, Building Construction Illustrated, and a few other weighty books on the shelf. People assume you've read them and know something about it 😉
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
There's always the possibility of buying it for yourself and using it to improve your marketability.
I agree, I should have just bought the book myself instead of waiting around for my boss. When I leave this office I'll be buying my own copy.