BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to create LIVE Detail Floor Plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody and happy NY!

I need to create detail floor plans and I would like them to be live.
If I simply use the main floor plan 1:100 as source, I then have to create a specific layer combination 1:25 to turn off the 1:100 2D line work/text and turn on the 1:25 2D line work/text.

The problem is that:
-I need to draw a fill to cover everything else around the area I need to detail in order to create a white background for txt and 2D work.
-I need to create separate layer combinations for each of the following detail plans, to avoid overlapping of information.

It would be perfect to have a dynamic detail marker tool that keeps everything live instead of exploding everything in 2D.

Is there any option that I should but I am not aware of?

Hope I have been clear and someone has an answer for it.

Cheers
27 REPLIES 27
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Another way we've been working involves Hotlinked Modules. Since the rooms are repetitive (in this case, different types of suites in a hospital), we don't want the enlarged plans to show any context, since they are located in different areas of the building (though in other situations it doesn't bother me). All of the annotation is done on the module, which is in turn broken into different layer combinations (floor, ceiling, and finish plans), each using the annotation layers that I already have in the model.

In our case, we either build the module source in a separate file, or a deep underground negative Story*. We then use the Publisher to create Modules (with annotations turned off) that are Hotlinked back into the plan, while we also create view directly to the source, with the respective annotation layers turned on. You could also do the same thing editing MOD files directly.

Of course, if you don't have repetitive instances, it may be too much of a pain to do deal with the Hotlinks. It does look the way you like it, though.

* On a side note, the fact that there is no good place to put 3D plan module sources in a PLN is a bit frustrating. The underground method seems to work OK (the 3D filters can turn off these fake stories), but it's always seemed like a bad practice. Separate files can get messy, and screw up attributes. We also do this for "legends" that can be Traced onto the plan sheets. It would be nice if Worksheets could contain 3D information for "disembodied" plan elements.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
zoli79
Booster
It's 2016 and it seems that ArchiCAD hasn't improved a lot in this area. I wonder what other approaches people are using. We tried both methods described above and really didn't like either of them.
In a project I'm experimenting with renovation filters put to this use. The concept is the following:
A and B floor plan has the same layer combo, containing all model and annotation stuff. The trick is to set the annotations and cover fills (yuck!) to the appropriate renovation filter. So the only difference between A and B views will be the renovation filter. Not the most elegant way, but it solves the concerns I had with the methods we used before. Priority is to have one view on the layout (no stacking), one layer combo per view type.
macOS Ventura, ArchiCAD 26 - USA version
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is now 2017, I am using ARCHICAD 20, and am discovering this lack of "viewport" feature (Vectorworks terminology) to be very frustrating.

My office does a lot high end residential work with the need for many unique 1:20 wet area layouts for specific bath rooms etc. Often they are adjacent to each other.

Either (1) accept a lot of white fill masking (2) overlap two drawings on the layout - one annotative - one the plan view.

Neither seem particularly appealing.

Hopefully there will be a tool to produce a live "viewport", that can be placed onto a drawing, then annotations around. The viewport should be polygonal, so that it can be cropped accordingly to the internal geometry of the particularly space, so one doesn't need to perform the white fill masking.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For this and many others problems, is why Archicad is missing a system to simple hide or show elements in a view separate from layers, right now the only option Archicad give us to hide or show an element in a view are layers and that is a heavy weight already for layers only, I though that with the Graphics Override they will add this option to hide or show elements per view. ( I'm not mentioning Renovation filter, because it does not apply for the topic)

A simple system to show or hide elements in a view, separate from layers will help a lot to cut several workarounds we have to do in Archicad. A simple system that could use the selections sets probably, a system that will let us show or hide any element individually or per rule.
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
This is why I think Revit's logic of model/annotation separation is actually not that bad. I used to think that dimensions and labels that lived in a view and nowhere else to be found could be catastrophic. As in: then how do you find all elements and change their settings if they are all over the views, and if you need the same dimensions then you need to duplicate a view that already has those annotations (grid dimension, for example)? Better if you just turn them on/off from a layer.

Dimensions in views is kind of what you now have with AC dimensions and labels in sections/elevations.

But... Revit has the upper hand here: since annotations are families, edit the family and everything gets updated no matter where it lives. Need a plan blow up? No problem... create a new view, crop to what you need and annotate whatever you need to document.

Since many work in AC from the viewmap and not the modelmap, it wouldn't be so far fetched if annotations lived directly in created views from the model.

Model-> View [Crop|Layer combo|Scale|Penset|MVO|GO|etc] -> Annotate-> Layout-> Publish.

Best regards.
zoli79
Booster
arqrivas wrote:
( I'm not mentioning Renovation filter, because it does not apply for the topic)
And why is that? The method that I tried a year ago actually solves the issue. Not a simple workaround, but it works.
Anonymous
Not applicable
zoli79 wrote:
arqrivas wrote:
( I'm not mentioning Renovation filter, because it does not apply for the topic)
And why is that? The method that I tried a year ago actually solves the issue. Not a simple workaround, but it works.
I wrote that because even though you can hide or show elements in a view with the renovation filters, but the renovation filter is more than just showing or hiding elements, and the topic of this thread is live enlarged plans, and it will be a bad combination to hide or show things based on renovation filters when you are working in a project where you really need then to do what they were meant to do.
I use renovation filters when I have different design options, but not for this.
zoli79
Booster
a bad combination to hide or show things based on renovation filters when you are working in a project where you really need then to do what they were meant to do.
Maybe so, if your project is already complicated in that sense. (It would be nice if you could have combinations of ren. filters... e.g a view to show all elements on filters C and F) But it can't be generally ruled out, because many typical projects do not exploit the filter function - especially in CD phase, when design options get narrowed down.
The only things I need to place on the ren. filters are annotation-related: dimension, labels etc. and maybe a white fill. In a typical project this works better for me than any other available method described.

I'm not saying that this makes live details pointless, but until then it's an option to think about, when you have overlapping floor plan bits.
Learn and get certified!