BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

How to generate HR images with different contours and silhouettes as in 3D Style Settings?

Durval
Enthusiast

We have the choice to set different thickness for 'contours' and 'silhouettes' in the 3D Style settings and this can result beautifull drawings, but I could not find a way to generate images for output with these settings, other than taking screenshots (like I did for this post). But the screenshot method has a limitation of image size (the screen size).
If I generate a view from the 3D window and insert it into a layout, the thickness of countours and silhouetes are the same, not as set in 3D styles.

--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Durval
Enthusiast

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't think there is this option to set different thicknesses for 'countours' and 'silhouettes' among the Photo Render options (at least I didn't find any).
Anyway, I must correct what I said above, as it is not quite right. 
When I inserted the View generated from the 3D window in the layout, it looked like all lines were the same thickness. But then I published the layout and opened the just created PDF, and realized there was in fact a difference between contours'  and silhouettes' thickness.
The difference in the PDF is much more subtle than in the 3D window, but it was there.
I attached two screenshots, one from the 3D window and another from the PDF of the layout in which the View of the 3D window was inserted. See how different are the thicknesses!

3D window.pngPDF.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

Have you tried doing a Photo Render.

Go to Photo Rendering Settings and choose 'Sketch' as the engine.

Then you can adjust the settings to your liking.

Click on the preview and you will see what you have set (it is a standard preview image - not of what you are rendering).

When you have the settings you want you can store the scene so you can use it again.

BarryKelly_0-1646874750936.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
fuzzytnth3
Booster

Another option is to do a Photo Render but also a Sketch render of the same scene and in Photoshop (or similar app) use "Multiply" when you overlay the two images and use the layer opacity controlto control the effect

AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Gorazd
Booster

If you want to save a jpg or tiff from a view with higher resolution, then try this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsiFz4mp1-A&t=0s

or

https://youtu.be/8JP0sSgzVoU

------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
Solution
Durval
Enthusiast

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't think there is this option to set different thicknesses for 'countours' and 'silhouettes' among the Photo Render options (at least I didn't find any).
Anyway, I must correct what I said above, as it is not quite right. 
When I inserted the View generated from the 3D window in the layout, it looked like all lines were the same thickness. But then I published the layout and opened the just created PDF, and realized there was in fact a difference between contours'  and silhouettes' thickness.
The difference in the PDF is much more subtle than in the 3D window, but it was there.
I attached two screenshots, one from the 3D window and another from the PDF of the layout in which the View of the 3D window was inserted. See how different are the thicknesses!

3D window.pngPDF.png

@Durval wrote:

I don't think there is this option to set different thicknesses for 'countours' and 'silhouettes' among the Photo Render options (at least I didn't find any).

Actually now I look closer, not there is no contours and silhouettes in the rendering settings.

Just sketch lines, (that would be both contours and silhouettes), hatch lines and shadow lines.

Seems contours and silhouettes is purely a 3D style thing.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

What happens if you turned on True Line Weights? Not sure if this does anything in the 3D window, or if it was already on.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Pen thicknesses are not considered in the 3D window, only pen colors. Thicknesses are controlled by the 3D Style settings.

Learn and get certified!