Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to include true/false variable in an expression? Door Schedule

Jere
Expert

Is there a way to include a true/false variable in a simple IFS function in an expression? I want to use the input in the Description tab of the internal wood door to modify some values in my door schedules.

Here is the variable: "Door belongs to the Zone into which it opens"

screenshot1.png

Here, I can select it for inclusion in a door schedule:

screenshot2.png

What I want to achieve is to have the To and From zones in my schedule to switch depending on the value of that variable. As such:

D102:  Exterior Room to/from Interior Room

If the variable is TRUE, then the Exterior Room is not the zone into which it opens. If the variable is FALSE, then the Exterior Room is the zone into which it opens (i.e. the Exterior and Interior Room values will switch between the To Zone and From Zones depening on which zone the door belongs to. Here's an example:

screenshot3.png

Here, the doors would be scheduled as follows (the IDs are Z1 and Z2)

Z1: Door D999-1 -- Exterior-111 TO Interior-999

Z2: Door D999-2 -- Exterior-111 FROM Interior-999

Per Archicad, the "Exterior Room" for Z1 would be the FROM ZONE and for Z2 would be the TO ZONE. So, to get the proper zone listed as exterior or interior, I need the FROM/TO ZONES to switch. I can do this very easily if I can include the value of the gsb_OpeningToZone variable in a simple IFS expression.

I can't seem to find how to include it in an expression. It doesn't seem to show up in the parameter lists. (note I consulted with John @ ContraBIM and we created a simple option set that allowed me to get the functionality, but it would be much easier if I could pull from this variable)

Here's an example of the desired output (manually created in Excel):

screenshot4.png

ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
6 REPLIES 6
Jere
Expert

To clarify: I want to make two simple properties to add to my schedules as such:

"Interior Zone":

IF (gsb_OpeningToZone="TRUE", {Property:General Parameters/To Zone}, {Property:General Parameters/From Zone})

"ExteriorZone":

IF (gsb_OpeningToZone="FALSE", {Property:General Parameters/To Zone}, {Property:General Parameters/From Zone})

I have an expression for our door schedule and labels which looks at properties such as fire door label and displays a certain text depending on whether the option is try or false. That may work for you. I’ll open it up and send the expression I have. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Thanks, Lee! Looking forward to seeing it. I'm newish to properties and expressions, but I know Excel fairly well.

Yves
Advocate

Hello,

Sorry a formula on Archicad French version

IF ( {Property:Paramètres généraux/Nom de zone liée} = {Property:Paramètres généraux/À Zone}; "To"; "From" )

Yves Houssier
Belgium
Archicad 19 -> 24
iMac - Mac Os 10,13
Jere
Expert

Merci, Yves. That is an elegant way to do it.

Right here you go. I have attached several screenshots. I have set up a series of Properties for Fire Door Labels where are all True/False options. I then wrote an expression which searches these Properties and displays one value if the Property is True and another if it is False. I have a secondary Expression which searches various options under the 'Openings' Properties and again displays various test depending on the True or False status. I hope this helps.

Screenshot 2022-04-18 at 18.00.34.pngScreenshot 2022-04-18 at 18.01.19.pngScreenshot 2022-04-18 at 18.01.09.png
Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)