BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to link a layer combination to a layout

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

it may sounds like a stupid question, but I wonder if there is a way to link a layer combination to a layout. I found that every time I open a layout book, the layer combination active is the last one I was using rather than the one made purposely for it.

Hope I've been clear in my explanation.

Thank you

Claudio
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
As far as I know you can't.
You can link a layer combination to a view of your model and then you can place that view in your layout.
But once in the layouts you can not change the layers of the drawings (placed views).
You can change the layers (layer combinations) of your layout page but you have to do this manually.

But the question I have to ask is why do you want to control the layers in the layouts?
I would do all my annotation in the model (sections, elevations, plans, etc.) and then save views of those with specific layers.
Then place the different views on different layout pages.
I would never (or very rarely) add annotation in a layout age directly.

And if you want to show different drawings on a layout then just create 2 or more layouts for what you want to see.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your prompt answer Barry.

Legitimate question asked.
The only reason why I use a layer combination is for the title block info, nothing too dramatic. When I open the layouts I need to manually select the appropriate layer combination with the title block info. Also, I only would like to show the north point in floor plans and avoid it in elevations, sections and details, which makes another layer combination and takes something away from my mind to remember.

I also wouldn't put notes on the layout either. Occasionally though happens that I put 'NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION' in bold and red for pawing builders

I guess I have to keep the title block layers on in every layer combination and paste the north manually in the layout page.

Cheers

Claudio
Barry Kelly
I can't say I have come across a title block that uses different layers.
It is a little hard to give advice not knowing how your setup works and it may be hard to understand my advice not knowing how my setup works.

I would just have different title blocks set u on different Masters and then use the appropriate master on each layout page.
Or I actually have my title block (mine is one object that updates all versions of my title block at the same time by just updating the parameters) in Archicad in a separate (I call it a dummy) section/elevation and then I save that as a view and place that in my master and crop to the part of the title block I need.

You could also place the North point as an object in the model plan (use one that updates automatically based on the Project North settings).
Then it will only show in the plans on your layouts.
You can also just crop the drawing of the plan view to show just the north point and you can place that on any layout page you want, ground plan, upper plan, site plan stormwater layout, etc.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
Deviz,

Yes, there is only one layer combo active for layouts... independent of views, drawings, etc. That combo only affects things placed on the layouts or master - it does not drill down into any placed drawing, which maintains the settings of its view.

I have similar text 'not for construction', 'preliminary', etc that only appears with my layout prelim combo and not with the layout final combo. My text is independent text in the master on the a layer for layout-prelim stuff; my title block is a drawing on the AC layer from a worksheet view and is always the same.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!