BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

How to manage door and window ID's in file with HOTLINK

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Recently I've faced a problem in AC19 new project. I have a project with hotlinked file. The building has different floor plans depending of level but the scape of the building is the same on every floor. I want to make a hotlink of that scape.

The main problem is how to manage ID's in documents with hotlink. I have to make documentation (ELEMENTS LIST) of doors and windows and assign ID's depending on width/height etc. For example right door 90/200cm in all file should have the same ID like D-01 but element ID manager cannot change door ID's placed in hotlinked file.

How to manage and make Elements list for all file with Hotlink with proper ID's.
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should read about "Master ID" in the Help files:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/user-interface-reference/dia...

The Master ID of the host document and the Element ID of the Door/Window in the Hotlinked Module will combine to make up the Full Element ID.
So each instance of the same Module file should have a different Master ID and this way Doors/Windows in different instances of the same Hotlinked Module will have different Full Element IDs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank You for reply,

But, the problem is that the ID's of the same elements in Hotlink and main file should be the same. Here is the example: (I've set shortened ID for door so that's why You won't see Master ID but it is set to 1)

As in the example I want all doors in main file and hotlink, if they are the same, to be set with the same ID. I want that because I will be working on a large file with hotlinks and at the end I have to make whole schedule of elements like:

- 5x D1 100/200
- 10x D2 90/200

not
2x D1 90/200
3x D1 100/200
ETC
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I may be misunderstanding something, but YOU set the ID of any element. Just select the elements and set the ID field in the Tags and Categories panel of its Settings Dialog (or in the Info Box).
I think in this case you don't even need to bother with those Master ID since that is used when you want instances to have unique IDs.
Here I see a case where you want a given Door with a given size to have a certain ID, regardless of which Hotlink it comes from.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The thing is, I have a large file to work with (with many lines,layers,adnotations, etc). Because of many door/window types I want to place them first, without setting the ID manually. In the end I want to use ID Manager to automatically change ID's depending of width/height/etc.

The problem is when the hotlink appears in file:
The hotlink will be changing with time and the same is with the rest of the file. I cannot check or set manually ID's every time something in those two files changes. Because Hotlink is blocked from editing in main file, the ID's set by ID Manager are wrong and I have the situation as I have shown You above - two exacly same doors are set with different (wrong) ID.

ID's are only important for me for documentation. They have to be right in schedules and floor plans I am sending to construction site or architecture department.

For now the only solution of my problem is to place my hotlinks on unused floors like "-5" in main file and exclude that floors in schedules in the end. Is it any other way to do that with hotlinks placed from another file?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you open the Hotlinked modules and edit the IDs there using the Element ID Manager? You would have to open each Hotlinked Module file, yes, but then you would have all IDs set to their desired values.
Or is it more complicated than that?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately It doesn't resolve my problem and the ID's are wrong. I figured that when I make hotlinks from unused floors of main file I can set the ID's as I want via manager. It's not the best and cleanest way to do that but it works for me.

Thank You for reply.
Learn and get certified!