BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

How to save an image of a BIMx Gallery / Camera position?

Francois_MCD
Expert
Would anybody know of a way to save a Gallery view / any camera position out to an image file?
I had just assumed that it would be possible and now that I came to a point in a project I wanted to quickly take some snap shots from my BIMx model to publish in a document.
Much to my surprise I had to find it somehow not possible. I work on a Windows 7 machine and both the “Print-Screen” function and the cool “Snipping Tool” does not work and the clip board stays blank.

I am still hopeful to find a solution though. Any ideas?
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
I think F5 is the keyboard shortcut (on Windows anyway) to take a screen shot.
I think this just stores the image in the clipboard so you have to ALT-TAB out of BIMx to paste it elsewhere.
But I don't have a license for BIMx available at the moment to test.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JaredBanks
Mentor
F5 on a mac saves a screenshot to a non-obvious location; it goes to Documents/BIMx/Screenshots. The images are good, especially for e-mails and webpages, but not great. Nothing I’d print out at a large scale.

I presume on a PC it will save to a similar folder.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
JaredBanks
Mentor
Oh and I'm pretty sure this works from a BIMx file someone sends you, so you shouldn't need a license. I think.

If anyone wants to test it out, here's a link to a sample file I did recently showing off the latest limited navigation features of BIMx:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2012/10/02/limiting-navigation-in-bimx-finally-we-have-complete-control/
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Barry Kelly
JaredBanks wrote:
F5 on a mac saves a screenshot to a non-obvious location; it goes to Documents/BIMx/Screenshots. The images are good, especially for e-mails and webpages, but not great. Nothing I’d print out at a large scale.

Yes same location on a PC.
The image quality is as good as you see it on the screen in BIMx.
But being now a still image as soon as you zoom in it will pixilate.
So make sure you get the exact shot you want in BIMx before you capture it.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Francois,

I have added some information to the http://archicadwiki.com/BIMx site about the pre-recorded camera walk-through and camera position features.
I hope it helps to use these functions now.

Regards,
Katalin Takacs
Francois_MCD
Expert
"JaredBanks" wrote:

The exact path in Windows is "C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\BIMx\Screenshots" (where XXXXX is the name of the logged in user of the PC)

The BIMx Screenshots WORKS and are FOUND - problem solved
Thanks to everyone.
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course