Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to transfer View Settings from one file to another?

Nikolokobe
Booster

As far as I know, copy/pasting Views (or View Settings) from View Map betweeen files is impossible (which is increadibly frustrating). Is there a good workflow to do this efficiently, but "manually"?

I have 5 similar files on a single large development that I need to update with 10 different new views. I've made new views for 1 of those files and I need to propagate the same thing to others. All 5 files share the same template - pen sets, layer combos, graphic overrides, etc. The only thing I need to do is:

Make a new view -> match the view settings from the first fully developed file with as little clicking as possible -> rinse and repeat ~50 times

This is tedious work trying to match manually everything - pen sets, layer combos, scales, graphic overrides, View names, etc... We are at mid-stage development, I can't go back and setup a proper template file and copy paste the model back into it, it would be too much work (BTW, all 5 files are at different slightly different levels).

Please help!

AC 25
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
64.0 GB RAM
8 REPLIES 8
Nikolokobe
Booster

What I'm doing currently is copying an existing view that is as similar as possible to the new one (on same level at least) and then adjusting Layer Combo, then all other settings if necessary. Hugely error prone process, requires lots of back and forth between files to compare, even with 2 screens side by side.

AC 25
Windows 10
64.0 GB RAM
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

what i'd probably do is to use a 'batch' change to the views.

for example, if i'm trying to save 1:50 room plans (for internal elevations), i'd create the Saved Views first; it could be 10 or 20 of them, & it doesn't matter if they are the wrong layer combination, model view option or graphic override for these multiple views. just make sure the drawing scale & zoom are correct. Once all 10, or 20 or 50 views have been created, select them all, make the change to the layer combos, MOVs & graphic overrides. avoid clicking the "Get Current Window Settings" button at the top & ignore the Zooming setting.

in essence, you've grouped the workflow type where:

• saving views are done together (yes, there'll be lots of panning & zooming around the plan)
  • editing views are done together (one right click, settings change & it applies to multiple views)

instead of: saving view, change layer combo, change graphic override, change MOV, change scale, change renovation filter etc. 10, 20 or 50 times.

i'd do this for different type of plan drawings. i'd group the floor plans together, RCPs as separate, Finish Plans as separate, Internal Room plans as separate. & if possible, drag a copy from one group of saved views in the View Map, into another group & do the batch change there. this doesn't work if you're copying a Level 1 Saved View, but it's actually for Level 3. Copying Saved Views don't transfer between levels. you'll need to re-create a Saved View for Level 3

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

That would be a good workflow for truly large scale project updates - say 50 views per file, where you have 10 views per 5 "drawing types" (architectural, mechanical, electrical, etc.), and then repeat for different files.

Problem is - I have (roughly speaking) 2 views in the same "drawing type" x 5 "drawing types". It's broken down, lots of small scale nitty-gritty stuff, but done lots of times. I do group them for efficiency, exactly like you said, but the gains are almost negligible.

AC 25
Windows 10
64.0 GB RAM
Barry Kelly

Just make sure you now update your template as well.

I find it is easier (better?) to make views for all sorts of things you think you might need.

It is easy to then ignore them, move them to an obscure folder so you can ignore them easier, or delete them completely if you are sure you don't want them.

The same with layout pages - create layouts in your template for all sorts of page sizes you might use with various views place on the layouts.

As you have discovered, it is easier to delete what you don't need rather than create it from new in a file.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I'm asking for constructive troubleshooting, not lectures on best practices for the future (you might have picked up that I'm aware of both "how bad the existing template file is" and of "how to make it better" already). This project was mishandled from the beginning and I'm trying to fix it.

AC 25
Windows 10
64.0 GB RAM

@Nikolokobe wrote:

I'm asking for constructive troubleshooting, not lectures on best practices for the future (you might have picked up that I'm aware of both "how bad the existing template file is" and of "how to make it better" already). This project was mishandled from the beginning and I'm trying to fix it.

Firstly, I don't know your level of knowledge or what you have or haven't thought about or whether you think your template is good or bad or how you job has been set up or handled.

You simply stated you are trying to re-create views in five similar files.

You already know you have to do this manually and others have given you suggestions on how they might go about it - so there is no reason for me to repeat that.

I was just suggesting that for future jobs, think about your template and if you think these views will be important in other jobs, add them to your template.

And I was just imparting from my experience, that it is better (I think) to have more than you need in your template as it is easier to remove it  five times rather than create it 5 times.

Whether you take that advice is completely up to you.

There is no need to chastise me for giving it.

Secondly, don't forget you are not the only person looking at this post.

Others are also reading this and can learn and pick up tips from what is being said.

This is a sharing and learning forum to help all in the use of Archicad.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I appreciate your response Barry, my apologies for coming across as too short tempered. My frustration was with my problem and I should not have responded the way I did. Thank you for your feedback!

AC 25
Windows 10
64.0 GB RAM

Thank you for your understanding.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27