Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

IFS expression not returning expected result

Josh Verran
Expert

I have an expression:

Screenshot 2021-10-21 155904.png

I am intended to use in an interactive schedule (Floor plan KEY), if an element has a description entered then show that, if not shows the name, if the name is blank as well (-) then show the complex profile name, if it's not a complex profile then show the composite name etc.

What I'm getting thou is "---" apart from the complex profile.

Screenshot 2021-10-21 160243.png

Now I haven't finished yet so I know the composite isn't showing up, but I would have thought the names and descriptions would show up.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

IF I understand your sequence --you want either description, name, complex profile, composite, building material in that order. don't know what CBI is?

expressions_3.PNG

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
poco2013
Mentor

A item that you might want to check. If are getting --- results, that can mean that one or more attributed in your IFS statement is not applicable to your element. It does not matter if that attribute can not be reached, Any inappropriate attribute will invalidate the whole clause.

A workaround is to break up your statement into separate sequences. Archicad will use the first one that is appropriate.

Gerry

Josh Verran
Expert

Ah, thanks Gerry, that will be it.

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Josh Verran
Expert

I've checked and altered slightly but still not getting the desired result.

The Property references two properties that I have created (ie Name/type, Description) both of these are available for all classifications.

I have added these as two separate lines in the expression.

Underneath those I have entered the built in paramater for complex profile, composite etc.

I did a quick screen recording which you can see below, hopefully this my shine some light on what I'm getting wrong.

https://youtu.be/Dl8yBDdslJE

Josh Verran
Expert

What I'm hoping for is if a staff member draws an element, let's say a wall (using composite), the key will automatically show the composite name, however perhaps there's one wall that they want to write in a manual note/description for whatever reason, the key will now show that info instead of the composite name.

Another scenario would be a staff member places a toilet and gas bottles, the toilet favourite just has the name entered "toilet". The gas bottles favourite has the "name" and the "description". The description is required to show for the gas bottles, but since the toilet has no description only the name shows.

Lastly, if there's no name and no description then the classification name will show, for the example of the gas bottles that would be "Gas supply cylinder systems" [CBI - 7212 - Gas supply cylinder systems].

Josh Verran
Expert

I could create separate properties.

Something like:

Property 1 is IF (description <> "-", description, Property 2).

Then in Property 2 have IF (name <> "-", name, Property 3)

Then in Property 3 have the list of expressions for Complex profile etc

Just hoping to get it done in one expression if possible.

Not sure a understand how you want display the data. But if you want to test  the description field based on a blank field it should be description <> ""

Gerry

Hi Gerry

By default the description property has "-" entered.

I'm wanting the new property to read the Description if there is one entered (so not the default) and if there is no description entered (Default "-") then the property would read what's written in the name field.

Thats the gist of of the beggining anyway, I have a bit of hierarchy in mind of subsequent info to show if the above is not available.

Solution

IF I understand your sequence --you want either description, name, complex profile, composite, building material in that order. don't know what CBI is?

expressions_3.PNG

Gerry

Thanks Gerry, we have a winner!