Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Identical objects/materials show "connected" in 3D

Voytek
Booster

Please refer to the attached screen-prints. I am looking for a thin line separating the facia members (rafters) where they meet on top. They currently show as one L-shape member, which is inaccurate. Simple ways to overcome this issue would be appreciated.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

AC 5.0 to AC27 INT Full - Windows 10 Pro for Wokstations - Lenovo P70 - 2.8GHz Intel Xeon - ThinkPad Display 720 x 1280
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

That depends on how the objects are scripted.

Here are 2 similar objects,

One merges and the other doesn't.

BarryKelly_0-1637220780536.png

There is not much you can do about it unless you want to go amending the GDL scripts.

Unless you create 2 separate surfaces/materials that look the same but have slightly different names.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

@Voytek Given the advanced state of modelling...

1. ^^^ Do as Barry says with the materials. Maintains everything as standard.

2. Introduce operator "error" and pull objects a TINY amount out of place.

3. Adjust the length of the object to do the same as 2.

4. Draw a single Morph boundary line. Unfortunately these get left floating if the model changes.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Solution

This is very easy to fix.  Just duplicate the Surface with a slightly different name.  Surface, Surface1, Surface2... the only thing that has to be different is the name and it will display the line.  This is also important if you want this to work in White Models, or in projects where you need those lines everywhere, not just one or two you could fix with a morph line.  I would also add that making some duplicate Surfaces for wood materials is something you may want to do anyway so you can always have the correct orientation of the wood grain.  Nothing wrecks a good rendering like having the woodgrain going in the opposite direction !  14.png

framing model for Interactive Schedules.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Barry Kelly

That depends on how the objects are scripted.

Here are 2 similar objects,

One merges and the other doesn't.

BarryKelly_0-1637220780536.png

There is not much you can do about it unless you want to go amending the GDL scripts.

Unless you create 2 separate surfaces/materials that look the same but have slightly different names.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

@Voytek Given the advanced state of modelling...

1. ^^^ Do as Barry says with the materials. Maintains everything as standard.

2. Introduce operator "error" and pull objects a TINY amount out of place.

3. Adjust the length of the object to do the same as 2.

4. Draw a single Morph boundary line. Unfortunately these get left floating if the model changes.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Solution

This is very easy to fix.  Just duplicate the Surface with a slightly different name.  Surface, Surface1, Surface2... the only thing that has to be different is the name and it will display the line.  This is also important if you want this to work in White Models, or in projects where you need those lines everywhere, not just one or two you could fix with a morph line.  I would also add that making some duplicate Surfaces for wood materials is something you may want to do anyway so you can always have the correct orientation of the wood grain.  Nothing wrecks a good rendering like having the woodgrain going in the opposite direction !  14.png

framing model for Interactive Schedules.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Thanks for your contribution. Assigning different name is my preferred way forward.

AC 5.0 to AC27 INT Full - Windows 10 Pro for Wokstations - Lenovo P70 - 2.8GHz Intel Xeon - ThinkPad Display 720 x 1280

Thanks. Very helpful.

Good advice. Thank you. BTW: Nice work presented.