Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Illuminated Sign

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone been able to create a typical business box sign that would be illuminated at night.
32 REPLIES 32
Eduardo Rolon
Yes.

1. Use Morph for Box.
2. Create a New Material for the Illumination Side and in CR. Look for and turn on the Luminance Channel, select color and strength or assign a bitmap were you have drawn the illuminated areas in white (illumination) and black (not illuminated). You will need to do tests with the setting to see if it shows.
3. Assign this material to the side of the Morph that is going to be illuminated
4. Use 3D Text or morph to create the Logo or text that goes over the illuminated side
-----
If the text is backlit then use 3D text and assign the new surface to the back of the letters, if necessary convert the 3D Text to Morph to assign it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think what you are describing is more of a text based sign that has a backlit feature. We can use that but what we really are looking for is the ability to take a .jpg or similar graphic file and create a sign where the lights are actually behind the .jpg so it appears as a lighted sign in a night scene.
Barry Kelly
jdanosborn wrote:
I think what you are describing is more of a text based sign that has a backlit feature. We can use that but what we really are looking for is the ability to take a .jpg or similar graphic file and create a sign where the lights are actually behind the .jpg so it appears as a lighted sign in a night scene.
You mean like Karl has done with a leadlight window JPG in this post.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=46812

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon
Steps 1 to 3 are the ones needed to create a "backlit" screen. I normally use them for TV screens
Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 10.02.17 AM.jpg
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
Eduardo's solution (surface with jpeg with luminance) is the best solution here, I think. Will provide the desired type of illumination as well.

Thanks for linking to that stained glass thread, Barry - the problem with that method for here is that the goal there was visible light beams - which are based on a directional light source. It resulted in a really long render time. I assume (Eduardo can say) that the surface luminance method that Eduardo details should give a faster render.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
Thanks for linking to that stained glass thread, Barry - the problem with that method for here is that the goal there was visible light beams - which are based on a directional light source. It resulted in a really long render time. I assume (Eduardo can say) that the surface luminance method that Eduardo details should give a faster render.
I'm still learning all this.
There are so many settings when it comes to getting the results you want.
I figured it would be the same but just turn the caustic effects off so you don't get the visible light beams.

I see there is a good movie clip about illuminating a TV screen in the Archicad Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SHHNXBRFk&index=14&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWVsI6mb8Txb6MYZ4wdGdvaA

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for these types and it seems simple enough but I am brand new to Archicad so we have been trying to do this with the an Object in the Library called Picture 18. I am assuming this is likely the wrong path as while I can find the Surface Setting with the Picture 18 highlight the .jpeg we have inside does not appear in the Surface Settings window to add luminescence.

Probably need to back up and ask what is the best what to get the artwork in?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Figured out how to create the Morph, struggling with how to get the image and what file type onto the surface
Eduardo Rolon
1. Use the Morph tool to create a Plane.
2. Create a New Surface were you add the JPG to the color channel and the Luminance channel. You will need to "play" with the luminance settings until they show in the rendering. Take in consideration that C4D has the ability of going higher than a "100" on the settings.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator