BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Imported drawing path (Autotext)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to reference the path of an imported drawing, using Autotext <drawingpath> which is contained within a title appended to my imported drawing. It is referencing my C:\...TEMP\... folder rather than following the path to the server H:\Projects... as shown in the attached image. I have checked that the PLN is actually in the correct H:\Projects folder, and this happens whether or not the PLN is open in ArchiCAD.
The purpose of this is so that when we pick up a printed drawing in the future we can trace back to the location of the original PLN file, eliminating confusion as to which version of the drawing it relates to. (We still have people here that call drawings "BlahBlah-latest.pln" which is totally useless when someone then creates another copy, but old habits are hard to break).
Surely someone has an explanation / solution to this that I am simply overlooking.

Feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
s2art wrote:
I am trying to reference the path of an imported drawing, using Autotext <drawingpath> which is contained within a title appended to my imported drawing. It is referencing my C:\...TEMP\... folder rather than following the path to the server H:\Projects... as shown in the attached image. I have checked that the PLN is actually in the correct H:\Projects folder, and this happens whether or not the PLN is open in ArchiCAD.
The purpose of this is so that when we pick up a printed drawing in the future we can trace back to the location of the original PLN file, eliminating confusion as to which version of the drawing it relates to. (We still have people here that call drawings "BlahBlah-latest.pln" which is totally useless when someone then creates another copy, but old habits are hard to break).
Surely someone has an explanation / solution to this that I am simply overlooking.

Feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'm guessing but is it something to do with Background Archicad?
Is that the path you are seeing?
I'm not sure as I've never used it - i always link in PMKs directly.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I'm guessing but is it something to do with Background Archicad?
Is that the path you are seeing?
I'm not sure as I've never used it - i always link in PMKs directly.

Barry.
I'm not sure how to check if this is the case. Any other suggestions? ....Anyone?.... Anyone?....
Karl Ottenstein
s2art wrote:
Any other suggestions? ....Anyone?.... Anyone?....
Switch your PM navigator to Drawing view, select the drawing that is displaying the temp path and at the bottom of the navigator, in gray (non-editable) you can read the file system path being used to locate this file. Make navigator wider if ncessary to read the whole path. Perhaps give us a screenshot of that if just looking doesn't help resolve the problem?

Another idea ... is the source file on a server that you have automatically cached onto the machine that you are using (e.g., auto-synchronized windows folder). Shouldn't matter - the 'real' path should show...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Switch your PM navigator to Drawing view, select the drawing that is displaying the temp path and at the bottom of the navigator, in gray (non-editable) you can read the file system path being used to locate this file. Make navigator wider if ncessary to read the whole path. Perhaps give us a screenshot of that if just looking doesn't help resolve the problem?

Another idea ... is the source file on a server that you have automatically cached onto the machine that you are using (e.g., auto-synchronized windows folder). Shouldn't matter - the 'real' path should show...

Karl
Karl

If you look at the screenshot on my initial post you can see the correct path displayed in the navigator (bottom left), and the path to the Layout Book name is correctly referenced to the server location H:\ (below incorrect drawing path)
Anonymous
Not applicable
S2art, you are using the incorrect autotext reference.
Try using <ACFILEPATH> instead of <DRAWINGPATH>. When you use <ACFILEPATH>, this references where the LITERAL 'working' file path is; this resides in your temp folder (or where your temporary work environment is set to in windows).

Note that <ACFILEPATH> will only work correctly as autotext if applied to a Title Type. If you simply place <ACFILEPATH> in your layout, you will need to select a drawing at SET AS AUTOTEXT REFERENCE.

I'd recommend using <ACFILEPATH> on a Title Type, this would make it automatic without having to set the autotext reference.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Chad, that makes perfect sense.

I was applying it to a title, so will continue along that path (pun intended).

Cheers
Learn and get certified!