Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Installing Twinmotion Directlink Plugin causes Visual C++ error and renders ArchiCAD unusable

Liamthanks
Booster
Hi all,

I have now twice tried to install the DirectLink plug-in for ArchiCAD 23 to no avail. Both times have resulted in me having to remove the plug-in files, uninstall Visual C++2017 and then re-install ArchiCAD, which is incredibly frustrating. I completed the exact same task today on my new work PC and had zero issues there, so I'm confused as to what is happening on my home PC.

Now before I try for a third time, I thought I would seek some advice here. What happens is as soon as the plug-in installer runs and finishes, I get an error message stating referring to Visual C++ being required. At this point in time, if I try to open ArchiCAD, I am then met with a handful of error messages which include:

- The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found
- The code execution cannot proceed because vcruntime140.dll was not found

From there, the program will not open. When trying to re-install ArchiCAD, I am then met with an error stating my OS is not up-to-date, which in fact it is. This is where uninstalling the C++ 2017 resolves the issue and allows me to repair ArchiCAD again.

Has anyone run into any issues like this in relation to the DirectLink installation?

Thanks.
AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
I use Twinmotion with ArchiCAD extensively. I gave up on the Direct Link. I now simply save out as FBX (the Twinmotion export option in ArchiCAD). I then "Import" it into a Twinmotion empty scene. I do what I do (material editing, cameras, environments, etc.). I then go back to ArchiCAD to edit the model, reexport out to FBX with the same name saving over the old file. Then back in TM I go to the Import tab and just refresh or update the imported FBX. The new model comes in, but all my previous work remains.

There is no need to use the Direct Link until it is properly fixed. Good luck!
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Liamthanks
Booster
Hi Rex,

As a new user to Twinmotion, this has so far been the only way I have been able to utilise it myself. However I briefly tried it today on the work PC and it worked fine there, so it's a little frustrating.

It's really good to know that you can simply export the file again and not have to start all over in TM. Will definitely have to try that out!
AC24 Build 7000 AUS - Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon 5700 XT, M.2 NVME 0.5TB SSD, 32GB RAM
Jp1138
Expert
It doesn´t have to have the same name either. You can use the relocate option and it will work too.
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Liamthanks wrote:
Hi all,

I have now twice tried to install the DirectLink plug-in for ArchiCAD 23 to no avail. Both times have resulted in me having to remove the plug-in files, uninstall Visual C++2017 and then re-install ArchiCAD, which is incredibly frustrating. I completed the exact same task today on my new work PC and had zero issues there, so I'm confused as to what is happening on my home PC.

Now before I try for a third time, I thought I would seek some advice here. What happens is as soon as the plug-in installer runs and finishes, I get an error message stating referring to Visual C++ being required. At this point in time, if I try to open ArchiCAD, I am then met with a handful of error messages which include:

- The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found
- The code execution cannot proceed because vcruntime140.dll was not found

From there, the program will not open. When trying to re-install ArchiCAD, I am then met with an error stating my OS is not up-to-date, which in fact it is. This is where uninstalling the C++ 2017 resolves the issue and allows me to repair ArchiCAD again.

Has anyone run into any issues like this in relation to the DirectLink installation?

Thanks.
Hi Liam,

Thank you for the question and I am very sorry about the issue!

I must admit, this is not the first time I heard of this issue. There were some reports about the instability of the Twinmotion Directlink. The issue seems to vary between different machines/setups. Unfortunately, the addon was developed by Epic Games entirely, therefore we were unable to tell exactly what is causing it. The best I can do is to suggest sharing your question with Twinmotion's support team here for further investigation.

Still, the addon installation should not mess with Visual C++ Redistributables. I can see that, during Directlink installation process, vcredist2017_x64.exe was executed. Although I never have an issue with Visual C++ in Archicad, I suggest downloading the Redistributable 2017 here and install it before running Directlink installer.

Let me know if this helps with the issue!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Liamthanks
Booster
Hi Minh,

Thanks for getting in touch. Whether it is of any use to you or not, I was able to 'solve' the solution by only installing the DirectLink for ArchiCAD 23 and excluding version 20. By only installing the one version, I have been able to use the features as they were intended.

Perhaps there is compatibility issues between the different versions and the installation of each version creates the error.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Liam,

Thank you for the information! I always installed Direct Link for all AC versions available in my machine (currently 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24) but never encountered the same issue as yours. But I guess it could be helpful for other cases as well.

Thank you once again, and have a nice day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT