Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Interior Elevations Overlapping with Multiple Zones

reidweber
Enthusiast
Hello (I'd like to post this again as my initial post was bo-garded by another question, and it went unanswered),

I'd like to understand the logic behind the linked naming of interior elevations based upon the zones they are placed in. I'm running into the issue of an interior elevation overlapping with other rooms and pulling the zone name from those other rooms. For example, in an L shaped room with a neighboring room in the corner, I want to do an interior elevation of the L shaped room but the view extents overlap with the neighboring room (even though I won't see that neighboring room of course because walls obscure the view). I saw that you can follow the counters of a room, but I would like to keep the interior elevation box as a square instead of dividing it up to follow the contours of the wall. I found that when I tried following the contours the elevation tags "exploded".

I am able to link the IE name to a zone and I've found that when redrawing it in plan, so that it only overlaps with the room name I want, the name of the IE name updates and won't change when I move it back. But I think there should be a way to link an IE to a specific zone. Does anyone know how the elevation and zone interact with each other? Is is the placement of the marker? Is it the last drawn extent? Thanks in advance!
ArchiCAD 24, 25 & 26 US
WINDOWS PC, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHZ, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 970, ASUS, CM6870, Rev X.0x
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you post a few screenshots about this situation so it is easier to understand exactly what is going on?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
reidweber
Enthusiast
Hi Laszlo, Thanks for replying to this. Here's an image. In this example I'd like the interior elevation title to link to the BAR zone but instead it's linked to the 3/4 BATH zone. Any idea on why it links to the 3/4 BATH instead of the BAR, or even the FOYER? It must have something to do with the extent line, is there away to link the elevation to a zone name?

(I accidentally attached two of the same images, not sure of how to edit the image after I pasted it into the "post a reply" screen.)

Thanks in advance!

Reid
ArchiCAD 24, 25 & 26 US
WINDOWS PC, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHZ, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 970, ASUS, CM6870, Rev X.0x
Chris Grantham
Advocate
This is a great question and something I have wondered about for a long time. Usually I just override the elevation title. I also wonder how you can get elements to link to a specific zone when two different zones are overlapping. Sometimes I will use a zone for a unit at one scale then room specific zones at a smaller scale. This has more to do with doors and windows. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I feel as though these are closely related.
-c
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
reidweber wrote:
Hi Laszlo, Thanks for replying to this. Here's an image. In this example I'd like the interior elevation title to link to the BAR zone but instead it's linked to the 3/4 BATH zone. Any idea on why it links to the 3/4 BATH instead of the BAR, or even the FOYER? It must have something to do with the extent line, is there away to link the elevation to a zone name?

(I accidentally attached two of the same images, not sure of how to edit the image after I pasted it into the "post a reply" screen.)

Thanks in advance!

Reid
Hi,

I tried to place interior elevations over zones that interlock somehow like that, but I always got the result I expected. Could you send me your project so that I can see why it might find the other zones? (you can send it to me in a private message)

Thanks, Daniel
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Chris wrote:
This is a great question and something I have wondered about for a long time. Usually I just override the elevation title. I also wonder how you can get elements to link to a specific zone when two different zones are overlapping. Sometimes I will use a zone for a unit at one scale then room specific zones at a smaller scale. This has more to do with doors and windows. Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I feel as though these are closely related.
-c
Hi,

In ARCHICAD every element can only be assigned to a single zone at all times (even doors, they just have special parameters to see zones on both sides). Originally when zones were designed they were not designed with that workflow in mind (that there would be two zones over each other in the same area), so there's no designed workflow for this.

Still, it is good to know, that if you place elements into places like this elements will find the zone that was placed earlier as their related zone out of the 2 overlapping zones.

Also, for renovation, you can have a different set of zones for the before and after status (to be demolished and new zones). Now this was designed to not exist in the same place and time, so an existing element can be related to a to be demolished zone in an existing state, and then related to a new zone after the renovation.

In case that you put a zone over the unit and then into the individual rooms (but let's say it is not actually a renovation), then you can set the unit zone to be demolished, and the room zones to new (and all the actual elements to existing). This way you can avoid overlapping. This is the workaround for now.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit