BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Intersection control of object on hidden & visible layers

Johann_P
Advocate

Again, thanks to all the contributors to this community helping all us novice Archicad users. 👍

So today I'm trying to control intersections.

I'm using layers to create different design options.

ie: Layer A contains design A, and Layer B contains design B.

I then hide a particular layer, depending on whichever design I'm trying to display.

But I find that the hidden elements of Layer B cuts/intersects elements in visible Layer A and vice-versa.

I don't want to change the intersections of the composites/materials as it will probably cause loads of challenges elsewhere in the model.

What would be the best way to prevent these cut-outs?

The example shown is walls on visible layer A and slabs on hidden layer B.

Archi205.jpg

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Was a bit quick in my writing. Edited the reply.

Making sure that the hidden layer doesn't have the same Intersection Group Numbers (the number showing in the layer dialog) as any element it intersects in space should solve it. Remember to update the Layer Combination.

View solution in original post

Solution
Aimad Eddine
Contributor

Hello, 

To fix this, you need to change the Layer Intersection Group.

1644784211234.png

Intersecting elements that belong to the same Layer Intersection Group will be joined to each other. Elements on different Layer Intersection Groups will not be joined. 

If you have many layers that you need to change the Intersection Group automatically you can use the Intersections in Layer Combinations Add-On from the Options menu.

1644784304719.png

The Intersections in Layer Combinations Add-On will set, for each Layer Combination, a Layer Intersection Group value 1 to all visible layers, and a value 2 to all invisible layers.

1644784350170.png

Aimad Eddine BOUZIANE
Architect
BIM enthusiast

Setup: Dell G5 15, i7 10750H, 16GB ram, RTX 2070 Max Q, Windows 10

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I create a renovation filter for options a b c d etc. Then I can use all the same layers and toggle between options for the client in real time.

Solution

Was a bit quick in my writing. Edited the reply.

Making sure that the hidden layer doesn't have the same Intersection Group Numbers (the number showing in the layer dialog) as any element it intersects in space should solve it. Remember to update the Layer Combination.

This could work, but I'm already using the renovation filter for renos, and unfortunately Archcad doesn't allow users to create more renovation filters.

Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
Johann_P
Advocate

So that is what those numbers are for!

Thanks.

Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
Solution
Aimad Eddine
Contributor

Hello, 

To fix this, you need to change the Layer Intersection Group.

1644784211234.png

Intersecting elements that belong to the same Layer Intersection Group will be joined to each other. Elements on different Layer Intersection Groups will not be joined. 

If you have many layers that you need to change the Intersection Group automatically you can use the Intersections in Layer Combinations Add-On from the Options menu.

1644784304719.png

The Intersections in Layer Combinations Add-On will set, for each Layer Combination, a Layer Intersection Group value 1 to all visible layers, and a value 2 to all invisible layers.

1644784350170.png

Aimad Eddine BOUZIANE
Architect
BIM enthusiast

Setup: Dell G5 15, i7 10750H, 16GB ram, RTX 2070 Max Q, Windows 10

Sorry I know this is solved but wanted to share still.

I use the renovation filter for options when doing remodels too. You can't create filters I guess but you can create a new option and still pin items to it. I used to use layers but found once I got the process down it's much nicer using filter options rather than mass amounts of layers. This really comes down to how many options. I have plans for builders with up to 12 options all in the same file and only one set of layers. 

It seamed like a cleaner way to handle it given ArchiCADs limitations in options.

Thanks,

I don't quite understand what you mean with "new options" and "pin" etc.

Would you mind explaining in more detail please?

Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro

It is possible to set elements to show on only one Renovation Filter so by creating different filters for different alternatives it is possible to set up views for different alternatives without using different layers. A crucial limitation is that it can only be set to one filter.  

Element Settings Dialog > Classification and Properties > Renovation

thesleepofreason_0-1645007153994.png

Through the Renovation palette you can pin default or selected elements to the current Renovation Filter. 

thesleepofreason_0-1645007520907.png

Learn and get certified!