Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Is ArchiCAD ever going back to the old Renovation Filter Options menu?

Ugljesa Janjic
Newcomer
I hate the new renovation filter. I absolutely don't know how to manage so many options, or to define new configurations. Is ArchiCAD thinking about going back to the old, simpler system?
Ugljesa Janjic
ugljesa@janjicarch.com
ArchiCAD 25
Mac OS
16 REPLIES 16
Barry Kelly
The way the renovation filters are set up and work really hasn't changed between version 18 and 22.
The dialogue boxes are set out a little differently and we now have access to the RO from the quick options at the bottom of the screen.

What is it that you want to go back to?
Or what are you having trouble with? - maybe we can help.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ugljesa Janjic
Newcomer
Well my renovation filters from the new ArchiCAD 22 template show these options. They are more like layer combinations rather than Renovation Filter Options up to ArchiCAD 21. What are all these settings for IFC, BIMx, Energy Evaluation, Site Plan. How are those Renovation Filters?
Thanks for all your help.
Did I use a wrong template? I thought I used the standard ArchiCAD 22 template when starting a new project.
Thanks again.
Ugljesa
Ugljesa Janjic
ugljesa@janjicarch.com
ArchiCAD 25
Mac OS
Barry Kelly
It seems like your template has way more filters set up than the standard AUS template.

I have no idea why there are so many in your file - it seems a little excessive.
I guess that is the problem with using someone else's template.
You either accept it for what it is or adjust it so it becomes your template.

If those filters make no sense and you don't think you will use them, then I would be inclined to delete them and start customising your own template.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Ugljesa Janjic
Newcomer
Thank you very much, Barry.
I will see if someone else has the same issue or knows what is going on. My version is the US version and I used the standard template that came with the 22 installation.
I tried to find training for it but couldn't find anything. You would think that if they make such a change that they would provide training or explanation for it.
Oh well.
Thanks again.
Ugljesa
Ugljesa Janjic
ugljesa@janjicarch.com
ArchiCAD 25
Mac OS
Ugljesa Janjic
Newcomer
Barry, thanks again. I just did what you suggested: created my new 01-05 combinations and left the other ones in place. Much more comfortable now.
I guess it is just learning that hurts us the most. 😉
Have a great day!
Ugljesa Janjic
ugljesa@janjicarch.com
ArchiCAD 25
Mac OS
Barry Kelly
Ugljesa wrote:
I just did what you suggested: created my new 01-05 combinations and left the other ones in place. Much more comfortable now.

Good to hear.
I just had a look at the default USA version 21 template and it only had about 6 reno filters.
I don't have 22 USA version installed so I couldn't check that.

The learning part can be hard, especially when you have to go searching for the explanations.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
What you can do (and we do to a much smaller degree) is create custom renovation filters and use them to hide elements from other views.

For example we use a filter for our artist impressions: we set up a camera (camera 1) and populate the view with 3D cardboard people etc. We then select these objects and 'pin' them to a renovation filter called 'impression camera 1'. Repeat process if you have multiple cameras set up.

We also use one for a module workspace, to exclude items from quantity take off. Toggle the filter off when you modify the module in place, select items, save module, toggle filter 'pin' on again.

Hope that makes sense.

Still seems like an excessive list. Like someone took the idea to the extremes.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
I just had a look at the default USA version 21 template and it only had about 6 reno filters.
I don't have 22 USA version installed so I couldn't check that.
The USA 22 template has a Reno Filter option for each MVO Combination and Layer Combination. I don't use this template, so I don't know about the logic. Perhaps each View has the same Layer/MVO/Reno Combination for consistency.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The main reason why there are so many is for consistency of view settings. This template is aimed at new users and it is a simple, easy to understand system to have the view settings with the same names.

It is also much more flexible as a whole. A change to a unique view setting only affects those types of views.

Consistency and flexibility do come at a cost of complexity, but these settings should be completely be usable out of the box. If you do need to make a change, make it once in the template and your system is set. The View List can help determine the ones you may want to delete if you want to take that route.

Cheers,
Link.