Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Is there a way to disable "Create New Story" dialog box when switching between levels?

jakubc7
Advocate

I am referring to the dialog box that comes up when switching between "Storeys" using the CTRL+Up/Down. For example when I am on my base level (let's say GROUND) and I go down another level (which does not exist), I am prompted to create a new storey.

I have taught students who created multiple new storeys without realising and have seen junior staff do the same in office. I must say I find it to be a strange prompt for such a major project change / set-up item which should only be done with much consideration.

Having said that I am certain I did contract work in another office and this did NOT come up. Could it be because it was a Teamwork Project?

Either way, is there a way to turn it off?

If not could GS consider turning this off on new releases. I cannot imagine ever creating a new Storey without going directly into the Storey Setting options. I am sure there that there are way more occasions that this is used accidently than on purpose.

ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

I am not aware of any way to turn this off.

This is one of those situation where Graphisoft just can't please all of the people all of the time.

Someone else must have said, "wouldn't it be great if I go up/down a storey, and it doesn't exist, then Archicad prompts me to create one".

At least we have the option to 'Cancel' which would be the obvious choice if you don't need a new storey - even for juniors/beginners.

But yes, the option to turn off this choice might be a good one - I feel a wish coming on in the wishes section?

Personally, I find it easier to just click on the required storey in the navigator or right click on the plan tab and choose the storey from the list.

Rather than remembering the shortcut and then trying to contort my fingers into selecting it on the keyboard.

Maybe I am just getting old, my brain and fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be!

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jakubc7
Advocate

I jump between storeys so much that I've made UP and DOWN my storey change shortcut (omitting the CTRL). I'm only giving it more thought now as I've been teaching others and realising the down-side of showing them how to switch levels with a shortcut as all these new levels are suddenly created haha

ryejuan
Advisor

I think nothing wrong with adding new stories if its the last floor on the upper levels or the lower levels cause mostly you have set everything. The users should be just mindful that it has this function.

Yes reason why you can do it cause your working in a teamwork environment where you need to reserve the storey settings in order for you to add new stories by using the "CTRL+ UP/DOWN" 😎

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards
DGSketcher
Legend

In terms of program simplification I agree this method of storey creation should be removed. The Storey Setting dialog does the job when required and provides access to naming etc.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
jakubc7
Advocate

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like there isn't much we can do about it. I can live with it but still think it's a liability and an awful "feature". Maybe if GS are reading, it will be removed ... 🙂

Arrow keys are one the wrong side of the keyboard, time to bind it to your mouse. =P

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Never considered this! Thank you for the suggestion, it's now implemented haha!

Although it will only make the issue above more prevalent 🙂

vistasp
Advisor

I suppose it could get annoying but, personally, I don't mind it at all. When the dialog box pops up, my thumb is already resting on the CTRL key, and my index finger isn't that far from ESC. Maybe there can be a setting in the work environment, as suggested earlier in this thread.

= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |

I use a Razer Tartarus pro for all my data. Entry, way faster. Especially if you use a pen instead of a mouse lol