Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Items Not Appearing in PDF

StephenK
Contributor
Everything will show up before I publish, but when I go to open the PDF I get this error message, "An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the pdf to correct the problem." And I lose one of the sections. I tried publishing and saving as a PDF and neither work, but when I print to the printer from ArchiCAD it works just fine.

I attached a picture of what my layout looks before I publish, and what it looks like when I open the pdf.

Thank you in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
Hello Stephen,

Are you able to tell us which Archicad version do you use ?
It seems to be an old version, I think about 19.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Barry Kelly
Christophe wrote:
Are you able to tell us which Archicad version do you use ?
It seems to be an old version, I think about 19.

It looks like version 18 that I can make out in the screen image.

What font are you using?
It looks like a 'hand-written' style - some of these have caused problems in the past.
Is it possible to try again with a standard font like 'Arial'?

Do other pages open OK in Acrobat?
If so it may be a matter of trial and error to find out what is causing the problem.
i.e. change the font, delete one of the drawings on the layout, change the layers in the drawing that doesn't work, etc.

Not trying to be funny here, but do you have a real license - not a pirated copy?
Some pirated copies do not always work properly.

If you have a real license, do you have the latest update installed?
I believe it is build 9019 for version 18.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
StephenK
Contributor
To answer the questions.

Yes it is ArchiCAD 18 and it is up to date.
The font is "Tekton Pro", and I've been using it for quite some time.
All my other pages open just fine, but when I view this page it doesn't appear the full drawing. And it only seems it's the section on the right that messes it up. When I remove that section It's just fine. I even tried doing a new section through the stairs and got the same result. It seems like it is something with my stairs because they do not show up.
StephenK
Contributor
So it looks like when I open the PDF in chrome for example it is just fine. It seems like it's just an Adobe thing that it doesn't want to open.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Sounds like a corrupted element and how each viewer deals with corrupted things... If you turn off your stair, does the view render properly in Acrobat?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Are our PDFs changing in some way - or the software that opens them has changed?

A contributor here (Podolsky) has just shared a new template he has made.
With that is a PDF manual that I (and others) could not open in Acrobat nor Microsoft Edge or IE.
Finally got it open in Firefox.
I prefer to use Acrobat rather than a browser to read PDFs - but that is another issue.

This manual I am sure was not made in Archicad, but it does have images created in Archicad (I assume version 23 as the template is for 23).

I have no idea if this is related to the issue here, but it seems odd that PDFs containing images from Archicad are not opening in Acrobat.

There is another post (https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=72957) that mentions a problem where text is corrupted or does not show.
Probably not related to this issue, but that is why I was asking about the font used.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Podolsky
Ace
Just to clarify the situation: I was creating my PDF on Mac Pages and yes, I was placing there PDF drawings, made in ArchiCAD, as illustrations.
There is absolutely no problem to open PDF in Mac Preview, but Acrobat tells about error. There is no problem to open the PDF on Dropbox online preview too.
Also similar problem I had - trying once to show set of drawings been made few years before (on ArchiCAD 16) - I never had any problems to see it on Preview, but once I was using PC and Acrobat - it just couldn't show the drawing.
Looks like this is permanent error in PDF file creation, that getting only Acrobat. Maybe it's a bug of Acrobat, by the way.
StephenK
Contributor
Well whatever the problem was I got it to work now. All I did was move a dimension inwards and then change my bounding box in my layout and it worked. Don't know why that fixed it but it did.
CRansbury
Participant

Hey there, I am having a similar issue but with entire views on random sheets. The PDFs set looks fine in Mac preview and other PDFs but when I open in Adobe acrobat random views do not show. Unfortunately most people use Adobe acrobat so I need to figure this out.  Acrobats message says "an error exists on this page, acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem." Let me know if anyone has any insights.