Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Keynotes using the change tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
After searching high and low for a workable keynote creation method in archicad, exasperated, I almost gave up.

My last resort has been to use the change manager to add keynotes to my construction set of drawings, including elevations, sections and details.
I’ve placed the Revision History object on my master layout, and I’m delighted to see that each layout populates a legend specific to the keynotes on each layout. This method is working quite well, but now I can’t use the change manager for its intended purpose.

I’d like to be able to transfer the information listed in the change manager into other projects. Is there a way to do this?

I’m frustrated by how hard it’s been to achieve this.
Why, oh why, is there no keynote function in archicad that doesn’t involve ridiculous workarounds? It’s just such a big waste of time! I mean something with the usability of Cad image keynote tool, without the expensive price tag.

I run a small practice. I don’t need complex Bim management etc, I just need an efficient, accurate way of adding notes to my drawings. I’d like all of my notes to be from a single source, a schedule within archicad, thats easy to update, and interactive.

This is an absolute basic that archicad should have. For such an expensive program.
6 REPLIES 6
daviiiiidave
Advocate
Have a look into the keynote tool by ci tools. I love it. Works fine for us.

ARCHICAD 19-25, Student & Full Archicard, CI Tools, Germany
Mifcom Renderbox AMD Ryzen 9 5900X GeForce RTX 3070 TI 32GB RAM 980 PRO SSD Win10
Thinkpad P52 4K i7 8850H NVIDIA Quadro P3200 (6 GB) 32 GB RAM SSD Win10 Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
daviiiiidave wrote:
Have a look into the keynote tool by ci tools. I love it. Works fine for us.
Hi Daviiiidave,
Thanks for your advice.
The CI tools are really expensive. As a small practitioner, taking on Archicad is enough of an expense, and these extra add ons really start to add up. I think that the CI tools show that there are glaring gaps in Archicad's offering. A logical way of making notes on drawings should be a number one priority in a CAD program.
gpowless
Advocate
While I agree for small practitioners CI Tools seems expensive, as a business expense it is worth it just for the time saved using Keynotes. I also use Doors and Windows, and Objective extensively.

As a small business it is important to maximize use of time to reduce costs. If an annual cost seems prohibitive try to think of it in terms of annual revenue. Paying for invaluable add-ons is just a fraction of the return on investment you will realize by better efficiency.

(BTW. In My practice I bill less than 75k per year so I know what you are saying)
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
While I agree for small practitioners CI Tools seems expensive, as a business expense it is worth it just for the time saved using Keynotes. I also use Doors and Windows, and Objective extensively.

As a small business it is important to maximize use of time to reduce costs. If an annual cost seems prohibitive try to think of it in terms of annual revenue. Paying for invaluable add-ons is just a fraction of the return on investment you will realize by better efficiency.

(BTW. In My practice I bill less than 75k per year so I know what you are saying)
Yes, I understand what you're saying gpowless. I'm sure that CI tools are amazing, and I will probably be forced to purchase them due to Archicad's deficiencies. What I'm trying to say, is that basic tools like annotation and windows should be included and fully functional in the archicad package.
Tim Ball
Expert
Just add your drawing notes using the properties function. I have worked lime that for years and its very effective and free. See this video from 2018 https://archicaduser.com/training-webinar-january-2018-tim-ball/
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tim wrote:
Just add your drawing notes using the properties function. I have worked lime that for years and its very effective and free. See this video from 2018 https://archicaduser.com/training-webinar-january-2018-tim-ball/
Thanks for this Tim, I'll have a look and let you know if it fits the bill.
Cheers