Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Label / tag on a morph

Foti
Enthusiast

Hello

I was wondering in AC25 if it was possible to label/tag a morph element? I use morphs to to create stone blocks, and in the past i would manually use a basic text tool to indicate some information about it. See image attached for example. I can colour code the the blocks but would need the information to also so in elevations. 

I don't see any infomation that a label can use in the morph properties.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 11.00.57 PM.png

AC25

PC

Foti B.

AC25
PC Precison 5760, Xeon 11955, 64GB, Nvidia RTX A3000
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Easy.

Create new properties in the Property Manager.

Create a new Property Group if you want to keep them separate in the property list.

BarryKelly_0-1661178115384.png

Assign those properties to a classification - use an existing one or you can create your own in the classification manager.

Now make sure your morph blocks have that particular classification assigned to them.

BarryKelly_1-1661178213979.png

Now you can add the values to those properties in each morph.

BarryKelly_2-1661178260375.png

Finally add your auto-text label adding the Element ID, and those properties and what ever else you want as text.

BarryKelly_3-1661178340605.png

Save that label as a 'Favourite' and you will never have to set it up again.

You can Import that favourite into any other job you are working on or better still to your template.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

I share your frustration, sometimes AC can place the label exactly where you want it, other times it just drops it on the element origin. Still it has to be quicker than typing them all in one by one...

Have you looked at using the Align tool to adjust the position of the labels?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Solution

If you create an 'Autotext' label and save that as a favourite. it will not save the individual formatting of the text - just the text content and the overall label text format.

However, if you create 'auto text' with the text tool and format that as you want, you can then save that as a label object.

BarryKelly_0-1661738303339.png

Format the text as you want - centre justified, font size, style, etc.

Don't worry about the width of the autotext going on 2 of more lines.

It is the width of the value you are setting, not he autotext place holder that you type.

My image shows the leader pointer, but of course you just turn that off when placing the label.

This will create the actual label as you want, so you may not even need a favourite.

You will have no control of the format in the label.

If you want that, then you need to script your own label and add those controls.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

30 REPLIES 30

You should be able to. You can label any 3D element. As long as you have a property assigned to the correct classification and the morph is classified correctly. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

I tried the Classification/component/dimension/generic labels, i played around with the settings and I see options for height and width, but it wont read those from a morph. It reads the volumes and surface are.

Foti B.

AC25
DGSketcher
Legend

@Foti Have you considered using something other than Morphs to create your stone blocks. Morphs generally struggle under labelling because they are considered freeform and therefore don't easily deliver dimensional values other than volumes & surfaces. If you used the wall tool for the blocks then a lot more information for labelling & scheduling would be available to you. Just because a tool is described as a Wall or Beam tool etc it doesn't mean you can't use them to create something different e.g. a stone block. It depends on what you need to create as to the best option.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

You can use Curtain wall tool to draw stone blocks wall, watch this video explaining more than speech, I hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/-KCaNJDSypI

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

I have tried other methods, but the wall tool wont work. If I make one block as a wall and stack "block" no joint line will be visible. That would be a simple wall. But I use the morphs because the blocks are not just simple shapes, they have specific cuts and from there I can pull out a block to hand over for a cut schedule.

The screen shot below is two morphs I shaped that will get tagged numbered.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Foti B.

AC25

Thanks for the info will keep this reference, but I need more control block by block. Not sure how this will work.

3.JPG

rk when I have a flat arch.

Foti B.

AC25

So try this: https://youtu.be/wVYqONROsIg

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

@Foti I can see why you are using the Morph tool. So the question really is what do you need to include in your labels?

ID & Surface are easy, they are available straight from the Label Tool Autotext values. It may be a case of setting up additional Properties if you require more information for your labels, but this would be manually entered for each block or several blocks if they share the same data. It isn't difficult to set up if that is a solution?

I never went into the custom properties, I would need basic, overall lenght, overall height and depth. A label that would display (2000 H1000) the 2000 is the lenght and H for height and ID. I then make an coloured elevation, I colour match all the same stone that have the same depth and height. Most will be the same dimentions, but complex ones will have some repetition but some manual. I know I cant automate the full process (it can be done using Catia 😞 ) but at least minimize my input as much as possible.

Foti B.

AC25