Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Labels from .mod file

lparke
Contributor
Having trouble with labeling objects in a tw file. objects are placed in a module file and given an ID, but i'd like the labels to show from a generated view (in this case using the elevation tool) in the tw file. When i select the object to label in the view it's naturally greyed out since its source is from a module file. is it possible to label objects from a .mod file?
ArchiCAD v27 (since v11)
MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB
macOS Sonoma
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am afraid the answer is no.
You will have to place the label in the Module where the Wall it labels is located.

As a general guideline: anything unique should not come from a Hotlinked Module. For example, if you have hotel room units and the Room names or numbers need to change, then you shouldn't plcae them in the Module, you should place them in the project you place the Module into, so any of their parameters can be changed individually (If you change the Zone Number in a module it will change in all placed instances).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
lparke
Contributor
Thanks Lazlo. That's what I thought.

Our workflow is to have guestroom separation walls, corridor walls and exterior wall in the main file. Primarily due the the many variations (i.e. shear/no shear, STC variations, etc.) Then the 'guts' of the room are a series of the modules (bath with shower, bath with tub, ADA, headboard wall, etc). If i generate the views from the module for labeling purposes then walls (as described above) from the .pln will be missing.

Interesting that I have no problem scheduling doors from the module files and I can see labels from the module generated in plan view.

Currently, i just use independent labels when noting interior elevations of the room but this can lead to potential errors.

Would be curious to know how other firms deal with this? Thanks.
ArchiCAD v27 (since v11)
MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB
macOS Sonoma
Anonymous
Not applicable
it's a problem
Anonymous
Not applicable
This seems like something GS could fix unless they have to actually change the element in the module just to label it. It seems that the local label should be able to pick up an associated element's data without having to modify the element. Perhaps this is another reason for the long overdue overhaul of the label tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Overhaul of the label tool? Have you heard something? I hope they do- one application would be to enable labeling zones in sections!

But actually I was hoping for more sophisticated modules:
- in place editing
- varied instances
- labeling would be nice too!