Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Last line of text box stretches across entire width.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a bunch of text boxes in various views that are compiled onto a layout. They all look fine on the layout view. The text boxes are justified on both sides, so the last line, which may only be one words, just ends where it ends. However, when I print, the last line of text gets stretched across the whole width of the text box, like this:

The paragraph looks great
and all nice and justified ex-
cept when I get to the last
l...........i...........n............e.

(except without all the periods)

I think I've got AC 1010 on my Mac right now.
3 REPLIES 3
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Do you have text wrapping on? If so try turning it off. If you don't I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I turn off text wrapping, each paragraph just turns into one long line and the text box becomes as long as the longest line. When I resize the text box to what I want, the "text wrapping" checkbox automatically gets checked again. I don't see how I would be able to write a long paragraph of notes without having text wrapping turned on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have "full justification" on (where the text extends to both sides of the text box), widows and orphans (so they're called when one or two words at the end/beginning of a block of text is left hanging separate from the main body of text, full justification will adjust the letter spacing so that the last word (the orphan) will look weirdly expanded, like your l....i.....n.....e example.

Text wrapping is only sorta related to this. Usually it determines if hyphens are inserted in a word when it would overlap the edge of the text box (instead of simply expanding the text box).

In general, you can highlight the last word or line of text and change the justification of that line only to "left justified" so that it will look like this:

blah blah blah
blah blah blah
b l a h b l a h
blah blah blah
blah.

The main body is full justified, which will affect the letter spacing as shown when there are fewer words to fill the space between the edges. The last line is left justified.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the font isn't super-conducive to having its letter spacing adjusted. For instance, my firm loves using Papyrus as its font for schematic design documents. Only trouble is, it is a mess to edit or view in the text boxes because it really can only be letter spaced one way. So if that's the case, try using a different, less fancy font.

hope that's useful

Zolli