Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Layer Combinations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have setup a layer combination called floor plan. I have checked to make sure that it shows the same for the layout book as well as the model. But when I set the layout book to the Floor plan combination it is not updating the view even though when I look at the combination it says the layers are shut off. It is effecting all the layers that I changed after creating the layout.

Our firm has been using archiCAD for a long time but strictly for 3D modeling purposes. Now that 10 is out we are trying to convert to using ArchiCAD for Construction Documents as well. So any help would be appreciated. Or if you have a suggestion as to a better way to set a layer combination for a sheet so that certain things are displayed in the floorplan sheet versus the section sheet etc. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
TomWaltz
Participant
Layer combinations only effect the content of the layouts themselves, not viewports placed on the layout. You need to edit the layer combination of the viewport you have placed in order to have an effect.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your help. Though, I am not sure where to access that setting. I have found the layer manager for model and for layout book where do I find the one for the view?
TomWaltz
Participant
TrvlDeWrld wrote:
Thank you for your help. Though, I am not sure where to access that setting. I have found the layer manager for model and for layout book where do I find the one for the view?
If you look in the Navigator, under "View Map", you can change which layer combination is assigned to a View. I think you can get the same thing by right-clicking on the view on the layout and selecting "View Settings"
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, That fixed it.
Haneef Tayob
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
...If you look in the Navigator, under "View Map", you can change which layer combination is assigned to a View. I think you can get the same thing by right-clicking on the view on the layout and selecting "View Settings"
Is there a way to control the layers of a drawing placed on a layout without having to have layer combinations set up. I used to do it in v9 but cannot seem to be able to do it in v10.

An example of where I require this is for key plans, where I've created the different highlighted areas on different layers (eg. Block A, Block B) which I then used to control on the layout. I'm hoping that I dont have to have a lot of layer combinations set up.

Thanks
Haneef
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
TomWaltz
Participant
Haneef wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
...If you look in the Navigator, under "View Map", you can change which layer combination is assigned to a View. I think you can get the same thing by right-clicking on the view on the layout and selecting "View Settings"
Is there a way to control the layers of a drawing placed on a layout without having to have layer combinations set up. I used to do it in v9 but cannot seem to be able to do it in v10.

An example of where I require this is for key plans, where I've created the different highlighted areas on different layers (eg. Block A, Block B) which I then used to control on the layout. I'm hoping that I dont have to have a lot of layer combinations set up.

Thanks
Haneef
NOPE. That ability went away in AC10.
Tom Waltz
Haneef Tayob
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
Haneef wrote:
NOPE. That ability went away in AC10.
I can only describe this as a GREAT TRAGEDY!

Not only can we not control layers directly, but we seem to have lost the ability to update our drawings to .pmk's which affect lot's of our old details set up over the years. We also now cannot directly control the layers of .DXF's and .DWG's drawings placed onto our layouts. It's as if we're using a completely new program. I really don't accept the argument that we should continue using V9 for older projects. It wouldn't have been necessary if GS had at least allowed exports to .pmk's

I really don't see the logic of discontinuing these features.

Haneef
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM