Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Document & Visualize forum

Layer Debate: National CAD Standards or other layer nomenclature?

EH21
Booster

How do you have your layers organized in your project template? Do you use the National CAD Standards, or do you have a different naming formula? It seems that BIM and 3D modeling eliminates the need for several layers. It appears that Archicad's template also does not use the national standards but does label by discipline. 

How do you do it, and how does it affect file sharing/collaborating for you?

4 REPLIES 4

DGSketcher
Rockstar

National CAD Standard - Uniclass. 

Primarily using the EF - Elements / Functions sections. The UKI template has stripped out the "_" delimiter and prefixed the EF with A - for architectural discipline so you get as an example: 

A-EF2510--Walls

Apple iMac macOS Monterey / AC26UKI (most recent builds)

Lee Hankins
Advisor

I use exactly what @DGSketcher said above but we still have the ‘-‘ because the template started in 2018 when that was still included. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - ARCHICAD 26UKI Intel 3010 and Apple Silicon
macOS Monterey (12.5)

Everything in my entire template is custom to how I want. No standards other than what I think is relevant to what I need for what I'm doing lol.  How I was taught. Not an architect. Just a designer.

Edit: all of my materials are custom made as well. Fills pens everything.

David Shorter
Expert

My system which pre dates 2010 is based on Trade Packages. However I am currently rehashing the whole thing (now we have folders) looking at Archicad Classification -v2.0, NatSpec which is partly used here and Uniclass as 3 different templates.

Archicad Classification -v2.0 looks fair at first glance with trades for Layers, Surfaces, Building Materials but I haven't got to Composites and Complex profiles yet (The Australian Select template 26 is pretty light as there are no folders present) Hopefully updates in Archicad will add Folders to Fills which is a bug miss at the moment.

Any more later... 

Archicad 4.1 to 26 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions