Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Layercombos in "viewmap" vs. Layercombs in "sheets"

rob2218
Enthusiast
So, here's a question I've had for quite sometime.
In a "viewmap" that gets placed on a sheet (layout), there is a specific layer combo assigned to that "viewmap".
Now...I noticed that in the "quick options", you can adjust back and forth the layers......but that also affects what's happening on the layout sheet.

So, my question is, for those of you who have sheet "layouts" setup, do you have a specified layercombo for the sheets or do you simply leave it at "custom"? I don't like leaving the layer combos at "custom" because, well, it's not a defined layer combo and I noticed that this happens sometimes when we forget (I've forgotten myself at times) to setup a layercombo for the viewmaps. We go about changing visibility of objects in the view, then forget to make it a permanent layercombo saved setting.

So, on the "layouts" what "layercombo" do you all use?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
All of our templates have a layout book specific layer combination assigned to them. These affect only layers within the layout, not the layers of the drawings on the layout. We have dedicated layers for everything in the layout book, such as drawings, watermarks, titleblocks, etc.

In other templates I've made I've used layout book layer combos to switch between different layout arrangements, such as drawing positions, titleblock configuration, etc to easily switch between entire appearances. This is especially useful for track home designers who sell predetermined sets. Once the layer combo changes what appears, the respective Publisher Sets then publish that information depending on what package is sold.

It's not just layer combos that are unique to the model or layout environments either, as outlined here.

Cheers,
Link.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Figured as much.
Thanks for the explanation.
I've used the "quick options" to move from view representations even in the layouts but I see I'll have to create "specific" layout layer combos, perhaps something called "Layout ALL ON" or something like that.

The other day...using the "Quick Options" as I had an layout open, I noticed that my entire "plan viewmap" had disappeared....which they I set the layout layer combo to "Floor Plan" and it all came back but I guess better practice would be to set the layouts themselves with a specific layercombo.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
I keep everything in my layouts simple - everything goes in the 'Archicad' layer.
That way nothing can be turned off and I don't have to worry about layer combos.

For alternative layouts I will simply create a new page and then choose which one I want in my Publisher set.

I don't do any documenting or annotation in the layouts - it is all done in the model, including title blocks and drawing titles.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
this sounds like the way to go.
Barry wrote:
I keep everything in my layouts simple - everything goes in the 'Archicad' layer.
That way nothing can be turned off and I don't have to worry about layer combos.

For alternative layouts I will simply create a new page and then choose which one I want in my Publisher set.

I don't do any documenting or annotation in the layouts - it is all done in the model, including title blocks and drawing titles.

Barry.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Eduardo Rolon
Barry wrote:

Barry.
Same here.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yeah that's certainly the most typical workflow. We just wanted to extend the concept of layer combos in layouts to demonstrate the power of ArchiCAD. There's a lot of that in our templates!

The idea originally came about from track home builders, but then extended when giving the ability for team members to reserve layout specific layers in big projects.

Cheers,
Link.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!