Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Layers in plotmaker

KeesW
Advocate
I have an archicad drawing imported into plotmaker and want to turn some layers off. After selecting the drawing and selecting layers, I get the usual layer list - but I also get a 'view mode' label over the top and I can't change the selection of visible layers. I've seen instructions about this somewhere but can't now find them. Any help would be appreciated.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
8 REPLIES 8
__archiben
Booster
cornelis

i'm guessing that this is probably because you have your drawing attribute update rules set to use the layers defined in your archiCAD viewset for the imported drawing.

you can change this globally in Plotmaker>Preferences>Drawing Attributes, or specifically to one drawing by changing it's 'attribute update rules' in the drawing settings (right click on it>Drawing Settings).

see the screenshots below.

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
To add to Ben's advice,

Hiding layers in a placed view is one thing, but you aren't able to show layers that aren't included in that view's layer combination, like we could in older versions of PlotMaker. The only way around that is to include all layers in that view when creating it in ArchiCAD, which kinda defeats the purpose of the whole view concept.

I wish there was an option to turn this on occasionally, but then again I wish the zoomed area worked in PM too!

Cheers,
Link.
KeesW
Advocate
Ben

Thank you for your advice. It worked.

I still couldn't find it in the manual!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

The "visible layers only" setting is still an option in the view settings. Just turn it off if you want all your layers available.

I must say though that I consider this a bad practice. I have for years set all my PMKs to visible layers only and enforced the discipline (as much as I have been able) with all my clients to make all the changes in ArchiCAD. Since the hotlinks became tied to the layer combinations (in 6.5 as I recall) this has been relatively painless.

I use PlotMaker for setting title blocks, positioning drawings, and setting pens for output styles only. All other work is done in ArchiCAD. This is not to say that I haven't broken this rule occasionally when I'm in a rush, but I try to always go back and fix it after the drawings are issued or the meeting is done.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The "visible layers only" setting is still an option in the view settings. Just turn it off if you want all your layers available.
Where mate? I can't see it. Is it a mac only thing like the Library Search function?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My mistake (sort of). The setting is still available in Publisher (select PlotMaker as the file type and click the options button) but this setting does not affect the direct linked drawing, just saving as PMK. It is still possible to choose layer combos in PM with a direct linked drawing. It just means defining the view with all layers visible. Of course I still think this is bad practice.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Right. This was my original point - it's misleading the way it's currently set up. We have the ability to show all layers in PM, but of course they won't.

As for the 'zoomed area' option, I'd like to meet the programmer stuck in the back corner of the office who came up with that spark of genius...

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
matthew -

the one advantage I can see to setting a view with all the layers, and then choosing the right set in the lbk is that you only have to update 2 files - one for the floor plans, and one for the RCP (with the doors hidden).

on a large plan with lots of data, updating 16 plan views is a big time sink that drops to much less with the method above. Of course, the drawback is that you cannot update *just* the finish plan, you end up updating the partition plan, power plan, furniture, etc all at the same time, since they are all part of the same file being updated.

depends on your workflow, I guess. see any other drawbacks?

wes