BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Layout Update

Johann_P
Advocate
I have made considerable changes to a design, and some of the stairs has been completely removed from the model.

But the removed stair still show in the layout.
The highlighted stair, for instance, does not exist any more, but when I print to issue for costing, the stair still shows on the layout.

Am I somehow managing the layout book and views incorrectly that this happens?

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend
Assuming this isn't just a view update issue...

If you delete a view from the View Map it won't automatically remove the view from the layout. It's a bit of a data security option for missing data e.g. broken hotlinks, deleted views etc. You will need to manually remove the view from your layout if that is your aim.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you hit the update button?
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend
Assuming this isn't just a view update issue...

If you delete a view from the View Map it won't automatically remove the view from the layout. It's a bit of a data security option for missing data e.g. broken hotlinks, deleted views etc. You will need to manually remove the view from your layout if that is your aim.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Johann_P
Advocate
Thanks,
Its been deleted from the View map.

But a second stair is still visible in the Layout, but its original View has also been deleted.
I'm thus assuming that the View place in the Layout will not update, and that I need to delete and replace this view too.

Slightly terrifying that Archicad will show items on drawings that no longer exist in the model.
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
DGSketcher
Legend
I'm not quite sure about your workflow. To keep it simple, if you delete a View from the View Map you will need to manually delete the view from any layouts where the view is no longer required. I assume this is the case otherwise you wouldn't have deleted the source view in the first place. If you have just deleted a stair and you want to keep the view on the layout then look at the the Drawing Setting Dialog which allows for Manual or Automatic view updates. The user base is split on the pros & cons of manual or auto updating. I prefer auto as it means any drawings are always up to date and if you are using the Change Manager with the Revision History Object in your title block they flag up any revised drawings.
Barry Kelly
I thought it could be a setting in the drawings placed on layouts to 'Store in the Project'.

But I just tested (version 22) and it has nothing to do with it.

I always (wrongly it seems) assumed that if you delete a view (or even the original view point), that any drawings on layouts referencing that view would become blank.
But it seems this is not the case.
I would call that a bug - and a potentially dangerous one at that.

If you try to update the layout page (or just that drawing), you should get a message that the drawing is missing - and now in 23/24 we have the Action Centre that should pick this up.

However there is a check box in the warning message that you can choose - "Do not display this dialogue next time".
If you tick that option you will not get the message.
The only way to check is then in the Drawing Manager (or maybe it still shows in the Action Centre - I haven't checked that).

Common sense says that if you delete a view or view point, you should probably go through your layouts and delete the drawings as well.
But wouldn't it be nice if they automatically became blank?
That way there is no danger of showing the wrong information, and they are still there so they can be re-linked to a new view.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
I guess it depends on your perspective Barry. I have a feeling the views remain displayed as a safety net against broken hotlinks. With regards to views going blank, I see this in my workflow using auto update. The frustrating aspect is if you don't have a view outline these views then just become invisible place holders on the layout. It would be nice if these views were automatically marked as "Internal Link Broken" so they could be managed e.g. deleted or re-linked. Under scrutiny it does seem to be a complex issue for what we think should be a basic action of showing a view on a layout.
Barry Kelly
DGSketcher wrote:
I have a feeling the views remain displayed as a safety net against broken hotlinks.

I am pretty sure that this is what the 'Store drawings in project file' option is for - at least that is what it should be for (in my opinion anyway).

If this is on and the source can not be found, it will still show the drawing (and yes it makes your file size larger).
If it is off and the source can not be found, then I think it would be safer to display an empty frame or as you say text to say "Link Broken".

When you set a drawing to 'Manual' update, this turns on automatically.
Then you are assuming responsibility for the drawing content.

Still I think if an internal view is removed, the drawing should go blank.
If it is an external view from a hotlink, then understandably it doesn't know if the view is deleted or just the path to it is no longer valid.

The Drawing Manager will tell you if a drawing is 'Missing', but I know too many people that just ignore the Drawing Manager.
I might do some testing to see if it lets you Publish a 'Missing' drawing without any warnings.
Just did and yes it does.
You get the warning dialogue but it has the option to "Do not display this dialogue next time" - which if you turn it on, you will get no warning and the published file will have drawings of views that do not exist.
Not good in my opinion.

Barry
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!