Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Layout drawings don't show views.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We am having a problem with placed drawings on layouts disappearing until we do an update at which time they show until we work on another part of the file and switch back to the layout. The title still shows and we can select the drawing but the information it contains is not visible and this is every view on every sheet. This problem makes it impossible to view information on layout sheets when in teamwork if you are not signed into the sheets since you can't update info if you aren't signed into the sheet. I can't seam to find a button to turn this "feature" off so any help would be appreciated. Also, the drawing frames are not showing, regardless of if the drawing is updated or not. Please help!
25 REPLIES 25
Thomas Holm
Booster
Josh wrote:
Erich, we do have the drawings set to manual update (it makes sheet navigation faster among other things).

Link & Thomas, about the "Full Drawing" vs. "Frame Only Preview", I don't have that button. Could that be an AC11 option. I attached an image of the drawing settings dialog so you don't think I am crazy. Well, not totally crazy at least.
Sorry I don't use 10 anymore. Try shift to auto-update?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I don't use 10 anymore.
That sounds just like what I tell the people in our office when they ask me questions about 9!

Anyone else have any suggestions? Please?!?
Chazz
Enthusiast
Hang on, let's be honest with the guy. Sometimes views just go BLANK. It happens. I've never found out why but it just does. Seems most common with saved 3D views but I've seen it with more prosaic views as well. You gotta re-save the view with a new name, drop it into the layout and try again.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have just recently found this exact same problem in one of our projects in AC11.

In teamwork, drawings on a layout page which are not set to automatically update show up blank. They reappear when they are updated, but if a team member does not have the layout in their workspace, then they can't update them, which is a problem.

Drawings which are set to automatically update don't have this problem. They are all currently set to 'full drawing preview'

any news on this before I call tech support?

thanks !
Katie Bertsche
AC11 1210, MacOsX.4.9 2.6 dualcore Xenon Intel Mac
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Josh wrote:
Link & Thomas, about the "Full Drawing" vs. "Frame Only Preview", I don't have that button. Could that be an AC11 option. I attached an image of the drawing settings dialog so you don't think I am crazy. Well, not totally crazy at least.
Bit late, but yes it's available in AC11 and AC12. In fact AC12 has three options. As per the Reference Guide:

• Full Precision (drawing shown with full details, always rebuilt)

• Quick Preview (faster navigation; Drawing rebuilt only upon explicit Rebuild of the Layout, or when a Drawing update occurs)

• No Preview (fastest navigation).

If you choose Quick Preview, the text “Quick Preview” will be displayed. The drawing content is an accurate vectorial preview, but you may lose certain details: certain dashed line types and fills will be shown as solid.
If you choose No Preview, the Drawing frame will be shown with the text “No Preview” in place of the Drawing content. (You may prefer this option to reduce redraw time if you are working on a Layout with multiple drawings, and you do not need to see this Drawing’s content as you work.).
This preview display option is an on-screen effect only and does not affect output.
Katie wrote:
Drawings which are set to automatically update don't have this problem. They are all currently set to 'full drawing preview'

any news on this before I call tech support?
Can't say I have ever had a blank drawing problem, especially one whose frame is set to Fit Frame to Drawing, the correct on-screen preview, the correct layer combination assigned to the view and the correct penset applied to the drawing.

Are these drawings coming from the project or from an external source?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
These drawings are from the project.

It seems to happen when I log in and someone else has been working on it before me... so for instance it is not happening to me today perhaps because I was the last person to log in to the model and update the layouts?

we're still trying to figure out under what situations this occurs.

thanks!
Katie B.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am also experiencing the same problems that Josh and Katie are having. It seems to be sporadic with different Teamwork projects around the office. Details that once lived on a detail sheet disappear or become empty.
Its not like I've changed the path or accidently moved the linked files because the drawing settings still indicates that the source view is still reading from the right location.
So I then go into the detail file that all these "suppose-id" missing details are coming from and much to my amazement...they are all still there safe and sound, locked into a view set, with the correct layers, pens and model view.

The only luck that I've had is deleting the views from the layouts and reimporting them (even this seems to be a hit or miss). I'm almost convinced that its a network issue. The last thing that I'm going to check on today are user folder permissions.

anymore thoughts?
Anonymous
Not applicable
For the first time EVER I had a case yesterday where views were blank. All they needed was an update and they reappeared, but I expected at least to see the old out dated view when I went to the layouts. Project wide, all layouts, solo PLN file, manual update. They had been updated previously (from visible but outdated views). Today all seems fine in the same file.

Just put it down to strangeness.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So...while dealing with my problematic Teamwork files. I went back to the detail file, that was feeding into my Teamwork project, and I renamed it then saved (just as an experiment). After this I tried to reimport all my details and every single detail came in perfectly without any problems. Therefore I'm guessing that there was something wrong with the naming convention of the file before I renamed it. So this is my solution at the moment before it decides not to work again .
Thomas Holm
Booster
Brian wrote:
Therefore I'm guessing that there was something wrong with the naming convention of the file before I renamed it.
Long experience and lots of frustration has taught me to always use low-ASCII names for files and folders, that is only alphanumerics, hyphen and underscore in file AND folder names used in advanced programs like Archicad. (No Swedish names 😉

You never know, once in a while you run into a subroutine or something that some programmer forgot to include in the file system's naming routines, so only regular ASCII strings work. These issues are hard to track down.

(These days I only allow a space in the Mac's default hard disk name "Macintosh HD". That one is too problematic to change afterwards, you have to do it when you initialize the machine if you want it to work smoothly.)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1