BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Level Dimension Tool on Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
i am trying to place elevation dimensions in my Plans for several short walls around my building but the elevation object wont read the height of the wall but of the closest slab.
If i have a 1 meter wall, the elevation dimension will be 0.00 instead of 1.
Whats going on? some hidden option perhaps?
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, this is how it works. The Level Dimension can be associated only to Slabs, Roofs, Shells and Meshes using the Gravity feature. It cannot be associated to Walls or Columns so it cannot associatively display their top height.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
agroni
Booster
LaszloNagy wrote:
Yes, this is how it works. The Level Dimension can be associated only to Slabs, Roofs, Shells and Meshes using the Gravity feature. It cannot be associated to Walls or Columns so it cannot associatively display their top height.
Isn't there a label tool (as in AUT Version) for defining the upper and the lower egdes of an element. We use it mostly for beams, and I suppose it should work with a wall also.
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well, that is a different thing from what the OP was asking about.
But, yes, it is possible to use an Autotext Label which displays the Height of a Wall, so it would effectively return the height of the Wall Top.
It would also be possible to create an expression-base Property, which would return the Height of the Wall's Home Story + Wall Height to display the top of the Wall from the Project Origin.
This could also be combined with a custom graphical Label, where one would draw the graphics of a Level Dimension, plus place a Text Block displaying this Property, and save the whole thing as a custom Label. That could look just like a normal Level Dimension, but displaying the height value of Wall Tops.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you! this solution looks promising, we will give it a try
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
This could also be combined with a custom graphical Label, where one would draw the graphics of a Level Dimension, plus place a Text Block displaying this Property, and save the whole thing as a custom Label. That could look just like a normal Level Dimension, but displaying the height value of Wall Tops.
ok i created the custom property and expression and it works with the label tool.
Can you elaborate on that last part? i need to draw the elevation graphics myself ? with lines and fills and convert it somehow to a label object?
Barry Kelly
papsphilip wrote:
Can you elaborate on that last part? i need to draw the elevation graphics myself ? with lines and fills and convert it somehow to a label object?
Yes you can create your own labels from text/autotext, lines and fills.
This may help explain the process.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/76152/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!