Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Library settings on multiple computers

Johann_P
Advocate

We have multiple Archicad computers in our office, each with its own standalone license.

We have not set up work-sharing on the server yet.

All our Archicad drawings are saved on the server, and is often opened by other persons on other computers in the office. 

The library objects, particular doors and windows, seem to lose their path to the Archicad library.

There seems to be an "opening" in the place of the original window, and when one clicks on the "opening" we need to relink the window or door, or even recreate, and all the settings like height and with etc is gone.

Archicad recognizes that an element is in the position, hence the "opening" but everything associated to the element is missing.

What would be the easiest/best way to manage the library on multiple computers?

What could be the cause of our little challenge?

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

We have the following set up:

• Archicad specific libraries installed at the same path locally on each machine
  • office libraries on our server, these include our own textures and library parts used across all projects
  • project libraries on our server, these include project specific ('one off') library parts

If you open a project there should be a library loading report error if anything is missing. Some people dismiss this prompt and carry on working and then scratch their head when there are bits missing. I can recommend always resolving loading errors as soon as they crop up. They can be caused by a simple copy/paste from one project to the other and easily resolved. That way when you do have serious problem, it is more easily noticeable.

If you have windows and MAC machines, you are stuck perpetually re-linking the local libraries, as far as I can tell. You will also run into issues with font scaling between windows and OSx, so I can't really recommend working on the same project multiplatform, in case that is happening.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Tormenta4
Booster

I would suggest to setup BIMcloud as soon as possible, in that way the libraries are stored in the BIM server for everyone to access them and easily maintained by the BIM manager. This also removes the problems between Windows and Mac different file path structure.

Archicad 25, MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS Monterrey.
afv
Contributor

Did you ever find an answer on how to fix this? Running into this myself today as I just got a new computer. Windows and Doors are missing...

Missing Library Parts.png

I don't think this is quite the same problem as you were having.

As you discovered in your other post, you had installed different language versions and some library objects are not compatible across language versions.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Document-Visualize-forum/New-computer-now-doors-amp-windows-and-...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11