Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

LightWorks not-a-manual to be BestSeller

Anonymous
Not applicable
One reason I took the ferry over to the mainland last friday was to stop by the Iconography Studio on West 47th in leafy Kerrisdale and get my mitts on a copy of " LightWorks in ArchiCad". Dwight said that it was "literally hot off the press," and he was serious, that most functional wire binding that the author says accounts for about one-quarter the cost of printing was still warm. I can attest that the bubble envelopes were stacked up ready to be mailed. You'll probably receive your copy shortly after you read this. If you don't, because you haven't ordered one, TOO BAD! My advice, be gentle, try not to trample innocent bystanders in the hurry to obtain yours! This is CLASSIC, be advised.

After the initial rush about LightWorks when 9.0 debuted I decided the prudent thing to do was wait for Dwight's book. I had investigated the Photorendering Settings Pallet ( "what's the big deal? You couldn't possibly come up with more than two pages about this, eh! ") read about the short-comings in the ArchiCad implementation, and realized that It was beyond my ken. Besides, and I suspect that a lot of ArchiCad users are in the same boat, the quality of renderings I could simply manage did not inspire me to pursue the topic further on my own. Better to wait for Dwight. What can be taking him so long ?

Well, now we know.... 208 pages. Dwight says this book in not a manual. As far as I have delved into this I can agree with him. It's not a manual, it's a MODEL MANUAL. Chapter One, with of course the introduction, would have exceeded my expectations alone. I've read a couple of books on photography, but "Think Like a Photographer" really opened up the topic. You can't help but be inspired, in my opinion, and challenged.

For anyone who is concerned that the future of ArchiCad is under the cloud of a heavier, stronger competition this book will be very restorative. They might have the base and the money, but do they have the Dwights and the other ArchiCad Gurus. Do they have not-a-manuals like this, Nooooo...

Thanks Dwight,

Wally
38 REPLIES 38
Dwight
Newcomer
witch oen?
Dwight Atkinson
Erika Epstein
Booster
s2art wrote:
I'll be at Auckland seminar. I'll bring my book and point out the spelling mistake.

Stuart,
you really ought to be more tolerant with Canadian spelling, grammar, and did you know they talk funny there too, eh?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dwight
Newcomer
Erika:

That's okay. We have a professional translator arranged for the Auckland seminar.

Sort of like in Dublin. I told them that the Canadian expression "Excuse me, sir, I have a question" is "Can I buy you a drink?"

Didn't work.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, the Irish. They may be stupid but they're not thick.
And when you come here Dwight, when you say "eh" you have to drag it out, like "aayee" (hardly pronounce the "y").
Dwight
Newcomer
Canadians only say "aayee" when the bungee cord breaks.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well this is the place to try it then, bungy capital of the world.
Dwight
Newcomer
In Canada, a broken bungee means you've lost the mattress from the car roof.
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dwight, finally got your book yesterday, after six months of eager waiting.
Thanks!
Impressive!
Heavy work, that is.
Struggling not to get overwhelmed and drown in this huge pile of knowledge, I wonder about just one issue for this simple-minded reader: Do you happen to have a road-map on how to get it for a too lazy person with limited time? Where should I begin?

(or do i just have to dig myself a cave in the ground, seal it off and dive into it for a couple of weeks while I go through it chapter by chapter?)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Dwight
Newcomer
That would be your "Dwight's Quick Start Guide" Chapter One, page 27.

Sorry for the delay to all who ordered early and waited. Thank you for being patient. I hope that the discount was worth it.

Since the actual cost of airmailing the books overseas is in excess of $20, I am grateful for those early indications of support - they made the book happen, not only by supporting me while I wrote, but in paying for the printing....

Good luck......
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Another one, for readers with a good understanding of how the lights work is "Fakiosity" Chapter 2, page 80, where we simulate radiosity with a fraction of the computing time....
Dwight Atkinson